Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know (at least in the past, I assume still), it was easy and possible to convert a chris king classic rear hub from Mountain to Road (and vice versa)

It was as easy as swapping out the 135mm axle for a 130mm axle

now here is the question I have.
I have a GREAT chance to get some CHEAP Chris King Hubs off a friend. They are from the original Bontrager Race lite wheels back in 2000. They were Chris King 'for Bontrager' branded.

I had a set back then. and they seemed to be normal Chris King hubs, with no difference.

Is anyone familiar?
Is it worth getting them to be able to convert them to road standard?

Thanks!
Barry

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've only seen these in low spoke count versions, so if you're planning a trad 32 hole wheel, that's out. I'm not sure if they can be converted. I'd say the best place to learn this would be from CK. Just email them and ask. They're people like you and me, you won't be talking to Darth Vader...

Bob

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
Indyfan is correct. They Bontrager branded hubs where available for one year and only came in 24h (front) and 28h (rear) configuration. If that works for you great, but if you need/want a different spoke pattern then they won't work. Otherwise they're the same as a standard CK hub.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did email King... just have not heard back yeat

and 24 front? I was thinking they were 28 front and 28 rear... which would have been fine

even then, for the price, for the rear alone might be worth it

thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts