Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying some Christ King hubs. I like every thing I have ever seen they make. I know Dura-Ace hubs are all I need and Kings are over kill for the road but I like the Kings. This is my question for you. I have heard that the Kings seals make them have more friction than other hubs, which is great for bad conditions but slows the wheel a bit. What is your experience are Kings as fast rolling ” low friction“ as other hubs you have ridden?

Thanks
Alan

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Can't speak to their rolling resistance on the road, but I do have them on my MTB. Never noticed anything unusual there, but in sand and adobe, who would. Will say though that the coasting noise drives me batty. Okay for the dirt, but for me the noise would undo the cerebral nature of my asphalt endeavors. I wouldn't consider them or that reason and that alone. I like silence. They don't offer it. I like Hugis a whole lot better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They must be divine?

Haven't heard of the "Chris<b>t</b> King" hubs you asked about...but with a celebrity spokesperson like that lending His name, how could they be less than perfect?

On the subject of Chri<b>s</b> King hubs, they do exhibit a ton more seal drag than most hubs when new, but that tends to get a lot better as they break in. In fact, with the brand new hubs it's not unusual to have some minor issues with your chain bunching up while coasting, the freehub is that tight. Of course, a precision fit isn't a bad thing since less slop when new equals less slop when things start to wear down Usually after 200 miles they are pretty much broken in, and you won't have any problems, but they will never spin quite as freely as most other high-end hubs.

The major advantage to these hubs are the very stiff axles, excellent sealing, excellent product support, excellent reliability, good 5 year warrantee, and a super-quick 72 point (5 degree) freehub engagement. Balancing this is the fact that they are very pricey and not particularly light.

The seals are really only a big advantage if you are running in lousy conditions...after all Shimano road hubs are generally pretty reliable and they are basically unsealed hubs except for the dust caps.

The fast engagement is a lot more noticeable on MTBs due to the gearing. On a road bike, you usually don't see much past a 39 x 27t. This has the effect of reducing whatever engagement delay you have at the hub to about 70% at the crank, since the crank is spinning less than one revolution per wheel rotation. A more typical 25 or 23T rear cog will reduce it even more. On a MTB, you commonly see 22 x 34t gearing, which multplies whatever delay you have at the crank to 154% of the delay at the hub. The crank is turning more than once for every turn of the wheel. So fast engagement is a lot bigger help when trying to push a little front MTB ring and a huge rear MTB cog.

The huge 19.5mm axles are serious overkill for most road applications, but are a good choice for clydes.

I think it boils down to your priorities and pocketbook, but in terms of sheer performance for the dollar the CKs aren't my preference for road wheels.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love mine. I just built up some Kings with Aerohead rims. This will be my second set of King hubs, the first I have on a cross bike. I know they are overkill, but I love them! They are lighter then DA, have almost instant engagement at the freehub (not as noticeable on road bike, but still noticeable) and come in lots of pretty colors. While not the most sensible choice maybe, they are my favorite.

The seals do create more drag on the hubs, especially when new. The amount of drag force applied is very negligable in actual riding situations. It may not spin as long sitting in the repair stand, but on the road you'll never notice a difference. They are still perfectly smooth to rotate and that stiffness does mostly dissapear after break in.

If you want a good value, then buy Dura Ace. If you want quality, quiet and simple looks go Hugi. If you want Chris King, then get them because nothing else will make you happy (and I beleive them to be the best)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts