Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He certainly is helping to prove Garmin's worth in the Tour. Can he hold that high position?

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
He's having a good Tour for sure. I think this time, he might be able to hit the top 10.

Ricco on the other hand - I wish he could TT better. He's fun to watch with his aggressiveness, explosiveness and style.

· Registered
183 Posts
Don't know if he can hold 3rd when the race gets into the really high mountains, but he is definitely doing a great ride thus far. I think he'll lose some time to the overall gc guys in the coming weeks, but my guess is that it will not be too much. surely he has a good shot at a top ten. Hope he continues to ride well, hes def, doing his very best to represent the usa and clean cycling. go garmin!

· Registered
85 Posts
uzziefly said:
He's having a good Tour for sure. I think this time, he might be able to hit the top 10.

Ricco on the other hand - I wish he could TT better. He's fun to watch with his aggressiveness, explosiveness and style.

Pu-leese. At any time the peleton could have chewed him up and spit him out. (Read: caught him and dropped him)

He was totally allowed to go cuz he totally has not chance of winning the yellow or the polka dot.

· Registered
137 Posts
SeeVee said:
Pu-leese. At any time the peleton could have chewed him up and spit him out. (Read: caught him and dropped him)
He was totally allowed to go cuz he totally has not chance of winning the yellow or the polka dot.
Completely disagree. I can't stand Ricco personally, but admit he is gifted climber and is not easily caught on the major climbs. I expect he'll win towmorrow as well.

· Registered
85 Posts
zphogan said:
Completely disagree. I can't stand Ricco personally, but admit he is gifted climber and is not easily caught on the major climbs. I expect he'll win towmorrow as well.

YOu must not have watched the stage. The peleton sat up to the point they were yelling at each other for going too slow. He would have been blasted out the back had the peleton got organized and chased him down. No one was worried about him.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SeeVee said:
YOu must not have watched the stage. The peleton sat up to the point they were yelling at each other for going too slow. He would have been blasted out the back had the peleton got organized and chased him down. No one was worried about him.
They did close down on him pretty fast until they sat up.

· Banned
4,302 Posts
jd3 said:
He certainly is helping to prove Garmin's worth in the Tour. Can he hold that high position?
He's riding pretty smart so far but tomorrow's going to tell the story for him. Judging by the interviews I've seen he seems to be sitting on the best form of his career right now. I think he's feeling pretty confident and won't have a collapse. Vaughter's is being really wise as well by making the team's goals so modest in the GC dept. Top 20 would be a success for them so Vandevelde's not dealing w/ a lot of pressure other than trying to keep the big boys in sight. I'm optimistic.

· Registered
111 Posts
Back to Christian Vande Velde...

He really is doing a great job and I'd love to see him have a good finish. Unfortunately, I don't think he's a good enough climber to keep this up for the really big hills. I'd love to be proven wrong though...

Patti

G

·
I believe there will be a strong attack on the Hautacam and I don't think CVV will be able to match it. I would be thrilled if he did, or if he limited his loss to under 2 minutes.

G

·
cpark said:
He has a shot if he can stay upright and the other contenders keep on crashing....
:lol:

Yeah, Cadelf could be in a world of pain tomorrow - I feel a bit bad for him, tough to take a hard crash just b/4 a epic mountain stage.

· Registered
545 Posts
I can't believe how well VDV is doing!.....where did he come from?! ...I remember seeing him riding as a domestique years ago for CSC but never thought I'd see him this high up in the GC.....keep kicking butt man even today on the Tourmalet!! You're keeping things interesting!

· Registered
11,561 Posts
zphogan said:

So much for Ricco getting spit ouf the back, he didn't appear to have any trouble sticking with the main men today. SD all along have said Cobo was their GC man and Ricco and Piepoli will go after stage wins. So far they appear to be sticking with that plan.

Ricco also now holds both the polka dot and best young rider's jersies.

· Registered
960 Posts
I'd ALMOST give up my bike if CVV ends up on the podium...
We NEED to have another American on the Podium.

And I love that Garmin was given the chance, and they have shown just how much they deserved to be in the Tour... Lead the team comp for while, CVV is up on GC, Fischkorn in the breaks... They are really making a GREAT GREAT showing...

And the more I hear outta J. Vaughters the more I like him. Seems to be a sensible, standup guy, with a sense of himself, his team, his sport and he's got pride in that ... and it shows.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:

And I love that Garmin was given the chance, and they have shown just how much they deserved to be in the Tour... Lead the team comp for while, CVV is up on GC, Fischkorn in the breaks... They are really making a GREAT GREAT showing...

And the more I hear outta J. Vaughters the more I like him. Seems to be a sensible, standup guy, with a sense of himself, his team, his sport and he's got pride in that ... and it shows.
I question the takebacktherout JV commercial.

How many people are in their cars, stripping down to their underwear, and jumping out the window of the car at 45-60 mph to experience what it feels like crashing in a profressional bike race?

JV and VS. will get sued to hell if someone follows that suggestion.

G

·
bas said:
I question the takebacktherout JV commercial.

How many people are in their cars, stripping down to their underwear, and jumping out the window of the car at 45-60 mph to experience what it feels like crashing in a profressional bike race?

JV and VS. will get sued to hell if someone follows that suggestion.
Only those people whose elavator doesn't quite go to the top :rolleyes:

· Registered
133 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:

I like JV as much as anyone, but he's still being frustratingly coy on his doping when he rode for CA. He's all but said it, and if he really wants to set an example, he'll admit it and move on.

As for CVV, he had a really strong ride in the Tour a few years back for Liberty Seguros in 2004 (the year that Heras imploded), not necessarily in the final GC, but he was tough in the mountains.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.