Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned to my wife tonight that I have never seen anyone cough as much as VDV does during his post race interviews.

I know he just worked his ass off in a race but everytime they interview him, he has that little rough cough like he has an itchy throat or somthing. Hopefully it is nothing serious. :confused: Could be alergies. I know that when you have sinus drip, it causes a cough.

LOL, sinus drip, Boonen must cough a lot. :D

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Run1stBike2nd said:
I also cough a lot and have a runny nose after a run or bike ride; especially during the winter months. I don't suffer from any allergies that I know of. He probably just has a nasal drip down the back of his throat.

My nose always starts to run and I blow snot rockets for the first 45 mins of riding, but after that all the mucus is pretty much done.

· Registered
650 Posts
I call it pursuiters cough as in track riding, when you work really hard you get that little cough for a few hours afterwards

· Registered
4,838 Posts
spinwax said:
I mentioned to my wife tonight that I have never seen anyone cough as much as VDV does during his post race interviews.

I know he just worked his ass off in a race but everytime they interview him, he has that little rough cough like he has an itchy throat or somthing. Hopefully it is nothing serious. :confused: Could be alergies. I know that when you have sinus drip, it causes a cough.

LOL, sinus drip, Boonen must cough a lot. :D
This is already being discussed in the doping forum.

· Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
Funny, this question comes up every Tour about some rider or another. Yes, after very long efforts, some riders cough a lot. I do it all the time after a very long ride.

If you watch a lot of Tour coverage and see a lot of interviews of other riders a lot of them do it.

If anyone has the 1992 Tour ond DVD when Andy Hampsten won the Alpe de Huez, every other word was COUGH..

· Registered
1,252 Posts
I dont think it HAS to be asthma, just putting a herculean effort into something aerobically can cause anyone to become a "little bronchial" (as paul calls it). I like it because you can really feel his pain when he's done with a stage. If you ever had it, you can really empathize...its true reality TV.

· Registered
172 Posts
brianmcg said:
Funny, this question comes up every Tour about some rider or another. Yes, after very long efforts, some riders cough a lot. I do it all the time after a very long ride.

If you watch a lot of Tour coverage and see a lot of interviews of other riders a lot of them do it.

If anyone has the 1995 Tour ond DVD when Andy Hampsten won the Alpe de Huez, every other word was COUGH..
Andy won on the Alpe in 1992. He did not ride for Motorola in the 1995 Tour.

· likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
It's well known in my 'circles' as: TRACK HACK

· Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Man my post history would get me flamed for this, but...

I did it after every hard effort or cold weather ride until taking Albuterol before exercise. I forgot it 2 days ago before a race and the lungs killed and the cough returned for the next couple hours.

It only lasts about 6hrs and is only greatly effective for the first 2-3hrs, so I'm sure his long stages still hurt.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.