Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a frame out there besides Bob Jackson and the Pista that is all chrome?

·
off the back
15,271 Posts
don't Tommasini chrome their steel frames entirely before painting? or do you mean, all chrome as in the entire frame that nice shiny silver?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whole Frame

I'd want the whole frame chrome--in a totally Fred way.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
It is, blindingly bright solid chrome

Very desirable bike back in the day. My LBS described it as the top selling bike for Schwinn in US that year. Schwinn's first Japanese made bike frame, has Shimano components.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
All chrome Schwinn Paramounts were fairly common back in the day. I seem to remember they were extra cost, but I don't remember how much. I've seen several of them. Not my "cup of tea.'

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Isn't that made by Dynamic Composites or something like that, Retro?

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,739 Posts
I think so....

FondriestFan said:
Isn't that made by Dynamic Composites or something like that, Retro?
I copied the picture off an old thread about bikes from Taiwan. It's not Retro, but it looks damn sexy to me.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
All chrome, but

only the exposed areas are polished before chrome plating. A steel tube that's not polished to nearly a mirror finish before chroming just comes out dull silver. I worked in a plating shop for a couple of years. The hard work is the polishing required before chroming. Really rough surfaces often have a thick layer of copper plating applied first, then the soft copper is polished more easily. After that, it's off to another flash of copper, then a long, heavy nickel plating, then a brief time in the chrome tank.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Any Bob Jackson - $350 extra for a fully chromed frame. As chroming a CF fork would be kinda tricky, you'd either have to like the limited range of 1-1/8" fork crowns in steel or go with 1", in which they have a larger range of choice.

Bianchi do a "colour of the year" - the Pista was all-chrome in either 04 or 05, not sure which - it was the year after I bought my 'battleship grey' pista, which bummed me out no end - for around $600, an all chrome track bike would have been a real blast!

Based on the chrome chainstays on my BJ, an all-chrome one would need serious sunglasses to allow one near it!

Not sure if any US framebuilders do chrome plating any more - I looked at a lot of builders before settling on my BJ, and don't recall chroming featuring on any of them. Waterfords have SS lugs and dropouts, but no chrome best I remember, for one.

D

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
rufus said:
don't Tommasini chrome their steel frames entirely before painting? or do you mean, all chrome as in the entire frame that nice shiny silver?
My Tommasini (circa '91) is all chrome underneath the pearl paint. I contacted the factory in Grossetto Italy and one of their tech guys said they chromed them to increase the frame's rigidity on their lightest steel tube set, which at the time was Columbus SL.

·
Banned
381 Posts
Retro Grouch said:
This is some serious bling!
Wow....:D That's some serious bling for sure.....How much will that cost? Not that I can afford anything:eek:

·
Registered
704 Posts
867-5309 said:
Considering how much we would all like a bling bike why don't they make more of them.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British/Jackson_Bob/b_jackson_chrome_track.htm
That frame could easily be built for you right now - okay, maybe if you ordered one right now, you could get it by July, custom is real bad for those who have to have instant gratification :cool:

The main frame lugs are pretty much what my frame has, so are the seatstays, though that track bike uses a straight 'brake bridge' - which you could ask for, it's only a length of tubing. The round fork blades are still available, though you might have to live with a 1" steerer.

A plus would be you could have any colour panelling you fancied.

That wild stem - thiefbay would likely be about the only source. They were made like that as most folk rode way too big a frame back then, and that was the only way to get the bars way down low. Heck. it's steel, can't be totally beyond duplication...

How much did that BJ trackie go for then?

D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would it be possible

to buy, say a Surly Steamroller and then hire someone to strip and chrome it. I mean if BJ charges 350 I bet you could get a better deal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts