Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I tried this last week and thought I'd share the idea with you all. I've been using a Chrome Kremlin for a couple of years now, and the only complaint I had about the bag was the fact that sometimes items in the bag poked me in the back. I'd looked into some of the padded back bags like the Pac Designs but couldnt justify the expense of replacing the Chrome. So anyway I decided one day to pad it myself. I took an old camping ensolite pad and cut it in the demensions of the back of the bag, pulled out the liner, slipped it in and it worked like a champ. No more laptop, books, shoes whathave you digging holes in my scapulas. I so far have not had the pad shift in anyway, it seems to stay in place with just the pressure of the waterproof liner to hold it.

Something to think about doing if this has been an issue with you and your messenger bag.

Happy Trails

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Good call! I can't believe I never thought of that myself. Sometimes the most obvious solution...

Thanks for the heads up!

· Registered
830 Posts
StormShadow said:
On a similar note, has anyone sewn on reflective tape to their bag? The only thing I wish my metro had was better visibility.

I was thinking of something like this sewn into the bottom of the bag:
http://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity.htm
I've been using some of the coast guard approved SOLAS tape (linked on that page) on a couple of my bags for a while now (camelbak & courier bag). It's peeled up just a bit at a couple of the edges, but not enough that I've felt the need to sew 'em on.
PS- if you've got a marine store like west marine around, they should have either the sew on type or sticky type (or can order it for you w/o shipping charges).

· Registered
194 Posts
I do something similar with a Pack It folder from Eagle Creek (http://www.eaglecreek.com/40154.html) in my Metropolis. When I have clothes to carry it keeps them halfway neat. When I don't it helps the bag sit flat against my back regardless of what I stuff in it. The back of this thing is a thin plastic sheet that is flexible enough to bend with the bag but stiff enough to keep weird shaped objects from stabbing me in the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.