Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than about 8 grams and the country of assembly, has the Stainless version of the speedplay Zero got any advantage over the CrMo version? It's $40 more.

On that note, any good deals on Speedplays around? My last pair were trashed when my bike was wrecked by a car.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
See the Speedplay site. If the Zeros are like the X series, then the difference between the SS models and cro-mo models is in the bearings.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Another difference

alienator said:
See the Speedplay site. If the Zeros are like the X series, then the difference between the SS models and cro-mo models is in the bearings.
As alienator says, the X/5 (cro-mo spindle) version uses two bearings, whereas the X/2 (SS spindle) and X/1 (Ti spindle) versions use three bearings.

In addition, the X/5 spindle is 2mm longer thatn the X/2 (which in turn is a few mm longer than the X/1). The longer spindle can help for people with wider feet or are more duck footed (feet outward outward, decreasing ankle/crank clearance).

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I did check their site. The zeros don't have the differences the X's do - no longer axle, all use 3 bearings, etc. That's why I was so curious what the difference in price was from. Surely 2 stainless steel axles aren't $40 more than crmo ones...

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Argentius said:
yeah I did check their site. The zeros don't have the differences the X's do - no longer axle, all use 3 bearings, etc. That's why I was so curious what the difference in price was from. Surely 2 stainless steel axles aren't $40 more than crmo ones...
Maybe the color used in the pedal bodies is more expensive. If the bearings are the same across the range of Zeros, then the cash difference is the axle material, weight, karma, color, pic your reason. Also if you leave your Zeros w/ SS axles outside during the next nuclear winter, they won't rust all to hell like the cro-mo axles will.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh! You're right.

I hadn't thought about the nuclear winter.

I'm going for the stainless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts