Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so sad. I'm not even a 'true fan', have actually complained about him (and his problems) bitterly but he will be missed. He was a great personality.

·
Registered
34 Posts
silent suffering

atpjunkie said:
so sad. I'm not even a 'true fan', have actually complained about him (and his problems) bitterly but he will be missed. He was a great personality.
the stories of Marco's climbing exploits - climbing out of the saddle in the big ring, braking for the UPHILL turns - will live on. it was announced today that he will be honored in the Giro...

Giro to add Pantani honorary climb
Giro d'Italia race organizers announced Tuesday that it will add a special mountain prize in the name of Marco Pantani in each Giro starting this May. The Giro already features the "Cima Coppi," a climb in honor of Fausto Coppi who died in 1960 and "Tappa Bartali," a stage in honor of Gino Bartali who died in 2002. This year's Pantani climb will be the feared Mortirolo climb, featured in this year's 19th stage from Bormio to Clusone

...and i am going to be climbing the Mortirolo with some friends in July, thinking of Marco as we suffer.

onward and upward.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good I'm glad. just wondering if it's related to the anti depressants as another pro cyclist died of similar circumstances.

glory is forever

and chicks dig scars!

·
Registered
132 Posts
atpjunkie said:
... just wondering if it's related to the anti depressants as another pro cyclist died of similar circumstances.
apparently he OD on coke and tranquillizer cocktail, most likely not even intentional. But he was suicidal, read his note below. It is very said, esp all those who were screaming a "doper" and were out for his blood now saying "the drugs destroyed him" where indeed it was them who did the destruction. I was never his fan, but he was what made the racing exciting to watch, he will be missed.

CP

PS with respect to other pro cyclist Jeminez died from the same cause: taking coke while on anti depressants in hospital. Tranquillizers are evil and some of them even more addictive then drugs.

==============================================================
CESENATICO, Italy, Feb 18 (Reuters) - Following is the text of a note written by Italian cyclist Marco Pantani on nine pages of his passport before his death, and read out at his funeral on Wednesday his friend and former manager Manuela Ronchi.

The note appeared to have been written during a recent trip to Cuba. It was written in Italian and translated by Reuters.

"For four years I was in every court. I lost the desire to be like every other sportsman. But cycling paid and many youngsters have lost faith in justice. I'm suffering with this letter.

"The world understands that all my colleagues have been humiliated in their hotel rooms with hidden TV cameras, that tried to ruin many families. After that how can you not hurt yourself?

"I don't know why I stopped myself in these moments of anger if I made mistakes I'd like to know that there is proof but when my sporting life and above all my private life was violated I lost a lot.

"I'm in this country and I want to say that "hasta la victoria" is a great thing for an athlete but it is more difficult having given your heart for the sport with accidents and injuries. But I always got back up.

"What is left? Just a lot of anger and sadness for the violence of the judicial system. My true story should be an example for other sports. Rules yes, but equal for everybody.

"There's not a job where you have to give your blood and where the families of your colleagues are woken up during the night.

"I was always afraid of being spied on at home, in hotels and by TV cameras. I ended up hurting myself to not give up my intimacy, the intimacy of my girlfriend and of other colleagues who also lost, of other families who like me were attacked.

"Go and see what a cyclist is really like. How many people were involved in my sadness as I tried to make a comeback with my dreams as a man which were muddied by drugs, but after my life as an athlete.

"If a bit of humanity helps us understand and asks what makes us hope, when you make a real mistake you understand and you fight with your heart.

"This document is the truth. My hope is that real men or women can read it and defend equal rules in sport for everybody. I'm not a liar, I feel hurt and everybody who believed in me has to speak out."

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes the Tifosi certainly didn't help his depression. Unfotunately that 60 hematocrit reading came at the wrong time and he became a target. It was the Giro DQ that IMHO broke him but he should have known, if he wasn't clean, they always test the race leaders. The midnite raids are BS as are the intrusions into riders personal lifes but cycling unfortunately brought this on itself. It is happening in the US in our (not mine, but nationally) beloved baseball. I'm sure similar witch hunting will occur there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.