Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experienced this a few years ago......most amazing, disgusting thing ever....Those who have experienced, the sound.....the almost UFO sound of these buggers...starts and almost becomes deafening. We could have used snow shovel to remove em after their few days of bliss. I recall a few weeks where I did not grill due to these buggers. For those of you that have not experienced this crazy cycle, enjoy and prepare for some weird days. Billions Of Cicadas Are About To Rise From The Earth, Have Sex And Die

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
Yea was riding along and a roadie mate hit one mid-air last go round. Damn thing let everyone know it was PISSED.
RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,784 Posts
We had the 17 year cycle here 2 summers ago. It is a very strange sound. For a while I thought there was some kind of weird drilling project going on on the other side of the woods, but it was actually the cicadas in the woods.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Experienced this a few years ago......most amazing, disgusting thing ever....Those who have experienced, the sound.....the almost UFO sound of these buggers...starts and almost becomes deafening. We could have used snow shovel to remove em after their few days of bliss. I recall a few weeks where I did not grill due to these buggers. For those of you that have not experienced this crazy cycle, enjoy and prepare for some weird days. Billions Of Cicadas Are About To Rise From The Earth, Have Sex And Die
We did not have that many of them in my area last time they emerged. Hopefully that is still the case. It is an odd/amazing part of nature

·
Registered
701 Posts
In Okinawa the cicadas emerge every year. I didn't know what was going on the first time I heard them. I find it very interesting the US Northeastern species are on a 17-year cycle.

·
Chief Road Officer
85 Posts
Yeah, we had the 17-year version here in missouri a few years ago. someone referred to the noise as "God's chainsaw."

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah, they can be very loud if there's a lot of them on a tree.

The 17 year cicadas are in different "broods" that emerge in different years. In Ohio:

There's also annual cicadas every year, I think those are in late summer. Just a buzzing in the trees, no earplugs needed.

They leave creepy looking empty shells on tree trunks when they molt into adults:

·
Registered
698 Posts
"Fish Flies"
When I was a kid near Detroit, we had fish flies every summer. These are burrowing mayflies, that all hatch at once, swarm around lights at night, mate and die. The adults don't eat, having no functional digestive system. Huge numbers of them for just a few days.

They kind of disappeared for some years, due to polluted lake waters, I suppose. Now they are back. Video news clip

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
"Fish Flies"
When I was a kid near Detroit, we had fish flies every summer. These are burrowing mayflies, that all hatch at once, swarm around lights at night, mate and die. The adults don't eat, having no functional digestive system. Huge numbers of them for just a few days.

They kind of disappeared for some years, due to polluted lake waters, I suppose. Now they are back. Video news clip
We had those when I was growing up in Northern Ontario, too. And the tent caterpillars. Was like driving on ice when they decided to cross a road.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Few years ago was driving from Brisbane to Sydney in December (so summer here), left at about 1am...at around 4 am in the middle of...somewhere, GF and I are looking at each other, what the hell noise is the car making? Hmmm. roll down the window, OMG the noise was bonkers. Those things make a freaky noise.

In other news, mtb riding today, sandy part of the trail overgrown with ferns, come around a corner to pull up about 6 inches from a Tiger snake. Scared the crap out of me that did. They're all supposed to be sleepin, not out and about scaring me.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,784 Posts
Yes in the South (USA) we get the every summer cicadas which are a loud screechy sound, generally just the individual bug and the 17 year ones are this otherworldly whirring UFO sound.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Lord help us!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
That looks disgusting, I hate insects.
Actually, they're kind of cool. They have no mouth. Definitely loud, but it only lasts a few weeks. When my kid was a year old, we got hit by a massive 17 year wave (brood 10, I think). I was pushing a stroller my feet going crunch, crunch, crunch on all the shells on the sidewalk thinking the next time I see these guys, the boy will be graduating high school. . Only 4 more years to go. Time sure flies by.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
We have them every year.

I think the pitch and volume indicate the temp/humidity.

Catch one in a jar and it will really tell you what it thinks about you.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I have a couple of hundred of these as pets. I'm good.

cicadakillers.jpg

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Don't get stung by one of those cicada killers! They don't usually sting people, but when they do, IT REALLY HURTS! (Don't ask me how I know)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
By the way, the last time this brood emerged, my dog scarfed down as many as he could. He was sooo happy! There are recipes for eating them. Good for us too.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
By the way, the last time this brood emerged, my dog scarfed down as many as he could. He was sooo happy! There are recipes for eating them. Good for us too.
btw, I understand that if you are allergic to shellfish you should NOT eat them. Lace loves eating them too

1 - 20 of 23 Posts