Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The percent grade function on my Ciclo Sport CM 434 computer doesn't seem to be functionling properly.

When I start a hill the % grade stays at 0% incline for about 1/8 of a mile before it starts to register any sort of incline or any actual elevation gain. Other people I ride with in the meantime are registering % grades of +2%, +3%, etc... On downhill slopes, by contrast, the CM 434 immediately records the negative percentage grades. It immediately records drop in elevation, too.

Is this a symptom of a defective barometric pressure crystal/chip? Or are Ciclo Sport computers known for having slow incline readings? Any suggestions on what to do?

p.s. Yeah, it wouldn't bother me so much if it were the other way around, giving me credit for going uphill and lax on the downhill percent grades but my ego can't take this! BTW, I just got it about 6 weeks ago.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,337 Posts
il sogno said:
The percent grade function on my Ciclo Sport CM 434 computer doesn't seem to be functionling properly.

When I start a hill the % grade stays at 0% incline for about 1/8 of a mile before it starts to register any sort of incline or any actual elevation gain. Other people I ride with in the meantime are registering % grades of +2%, +3%, etc... On downhill slopes, by contrast, the CM 434 immediately records the negative percentage grades. It immediately records drop in elevation, too.

Is this a symptom of a defective barometric pressure crystal/chip? Or are Ciclo Sport computers known for having slow incline readings? Any suggestions on what to do?

p.s. Yeah, it wouldn't bother me so much if it were the other way around, giving me credit for going uphill and lax on the downhill percent grades but my ego can't take this! BTW, I just got it about 6 weeks ago.
Sogno-you're sure it takes an actual 1/8 of a mile, rather than simply taking a longer time interval to update the displayed %?

[the later would follow since on a hill you'd be going slower, and therefore you're computer would have a longer time interval between data updates]

//////browses HAC4 manual.....

PS-quoth the HAC4 manual:

HAC4 book said:
Attn: Due to technical stipulations, the correct %is displayed some seconds after beginning the ascent or descent.
The above might be the computers'way of making sure altitude data are consistent and not just noise (wierd values).

my $.02

HTH &like that

//now where is snap w/those muffins:cool:

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Room 1201 said:
Sogno-you're sure it takes an actual 1/8 of a mile, rather than simply taking a longer time interval to update the displayed %?

[the later would follow since on a hill you'd be going slower, and therefore you're computer would have a longer time interval between data updates]

//////browses HAC4 manual.....

PS-quoth the HAC4 manual:

The above might be the computers'way of making sure altitude data are consistent and not just noise (wierd values).

my $.02

HTH &like that

//now where is snap w/those muffins:cool:
There's this one incline. I'm told it's about 3% (by those who have other brands of bike computers). The grade goes on for about 1/8 of a mile. I usually do it at about 16 mph. I swear the display reads 0% until just short of the top of the grade.

Does yours update immediately? I have mine mounted on the stem. Could the aluminum stem and bars be interfering with the transmission?

/I think Colker ate all the muffins seeing as Snap's sez he's asleep...:rolleyes:

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,337 Posts
il sogno said:
There's this one incline. I'm told it's about 3% (by those who have other brands of bike computers). The grade goes on for about 1/8 of a mile. I usually do it at about 16 mph. I swear the display reads 0% until just short of the top of the grade.

Does yours update immediately? I have mine mounted on the stem. Could the aluminum stem and bars be interfering with the transmission?

/I think Colker ate all the muffins seeing as Snap's sez he's asleep...:rolleyes:
Hmmm, got me:confused: perhaps a 434 user can be enlightening...considering grade and distance I wouldn't think sesitivity would be a problem (unless there's some gunk in the hole for the altimeter maybe)

HAC4 updates, or at least shows a change of elevation/ascent w/in a few wheel revs/ (IIRC, I'll 2x check tomorrow if the weather isn't crap), my mount is alu bar & computer mounted on alu stem/steerer.

I'll brood on it...YO COLKER-share the wealth:rolleyes::D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.