Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there with experience with aluminum Cinelli frames? I see they have the Xperience, the Unica, Aliante, etc. Dogs? Impressive? Brutally average? How's the handling, build quality, or whatever else comes to mind. I've been looking at a few and they seem to have a sexy look to them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
i've 3 contemporary Cinelli's- 2 aluminum/carbon tail Aliante's[02 Aliante Muscle(XLR8R,w/ muscle fork, super muscle chainstays & muscle seatstays & 04 Aliante Carve(Airplane w/ carve fork, muscle chainstays,& link seatstays) and 1 steel [01 Nuovo Supercorsa (Ultrafoco w/ new Carve fork )] so i apparently must like them. I've been satisfied enuf with them all that I'd seriously consider buying another Cinelli when/if the time comes to replace them.
I'd characterize the handling as tending towards the quick/fast side of neutral, stiffness/climbing ability above average,road comfort is very good, build quality of my examples range from just above average to excellent(seems that they had a spat of indifferent workmanship for a couple of years but current units look very good) paint is okay (no clearcoat on my 04- the 04 has an interesting "soft" finish that's prone to chipping, the solid white 02 seems quite durable however)-the 01 N/SC is lusciously done). personally i think the Unica is probably the best quality/performance/value model in the line and the latest Aliante's are a very attractive top end performer.

02 aliante muscle overview:

02 aliante muscle b-bkt detail:

04 aliante carve:

04 aliante carve weld detail:

01 nuovo supercorsa(steel) overview:
nuovo supercorsa braze detail:

·
Registered
599 Posts
>>>Beautiful bikes, all. Interesting seatpost on the white aliante. Do you have extremely long femurs?<<<

thanks. they do have a bold appearance,don't they? ;)
i've not ever seen another modern cinelli on any of my rides around here. not everyone agrees with their aesthetics but they always seem to attract attention.

the seatpost is a cinelli ram and it's one of those things i wanted to try out. setback is actually pretty normal at about 22mm,iirc. if you look more closely at the frontal shot you'll see that the post splits into a rearward curved bladed V and that the saddle is attached at the forward portion of the blades. the shape of the blades makes the setback look more acute than it really is.i didn't care for the posts' tilt increments and the bike currently has a conventional campy chorus carbon installed instead.

>>>Sounds like if I were to have one Cinelli it would be the Aliante. Agree?<<<

well actually, if you're thinking of a new o7 or o8 model, I'd be more inclined to opt for the Unica and eventually upgrade the fork to the "new" carve or muscle. the latest aliante & unica framesets are near identical in weight but the mega carve fork on the aliante is a considerable improvement over the tusk models featured on the unica or the earlier HM carve as on my aliante carve. imo, the supplied forks are the only feature where aliante is demonstrably superior and even that difference is only one of degree.

Based on my experience with my 04 aliante carve, the huge mega shaped airplane tubeset of the main triangle is probably a bit of overkill and maybe even a little too stiff relative to the stays and fork. there's a silkscreened notation on the bikes that reads " no flex tube" at the bottom bracket- my retort to that is "no sh*t!".

In spite of the less overtly oversized tubeset, the latest unicas are likely slightly better climber/sprinter's due to the chainstays being aluminum welded rigidly to the btm-bkt, whereas the latest aliante's use a modular unitised carbon carve rear triangle pressed & bonded into a plug on the btm-bkt shell.

ime, it's the seatstays and fork that can best utilise the vertical damping and ride comfort often touted for carbon.my brief test ride of an older unica displayed a very comfortable ride quality with none of the bite that i usually associate with aluminum bikes.
i personally have come to believe that an excess of carbon can often lead to an overdamped, slightly 'dead/numb' feel that can sometimes make a bike feel more like an appliance, and that's esp so for "hybrid", mixed-material constructions.

i'm also of the opinion that as the frame is side loaded in hard cornering,there should ideally be a relatively even, balanced and progressive overall lateral frame stiffness & flex between the central main triangle and the ends(ie-rear triangle and fork) to achieve the most predictable & consistant road behaviour. imo, the current model unicas should display that characteristic even better than the aliantes.

best,
ken

·
Registered
599 Posts
no experience with Xperience but it appears to be the replacement for the previous all-aluminum entry-level Proxima. it would have the same geometry and basic handling traits as the Unica and Aliante but I doubt that the ride would have the same level of comfort and suppleness as either of the pricier models. Probably a good choice as a solid, dependable race/crit bike where plushness counts less than ruggedness, & stiffness.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Unica

I have a 2002 Unica that I absolutely love. It's made with Columbus Zonal tubing, and is a joy to ride. It climbs like a rocket and is point and go descending.

I'll post pics of it later, as they're on another hard drive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ive always been a big fan of Cinelli bars and stems. In fact i still have the Cinelli Intergralter (way before the Ram was made)bar that i still use and love. I seriously looked at the frames a few yrs ago and almost bought one but being an old schooller that i am i just couldnt get used to the sloping geomentry. Wish'd they made the Unica with straight top tube at that time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
finally

Sorry for the delay in getting this up, but I've been a little busy.

Anyway, here's my 2002 Unica. I've made some changes, as this was taken pretty soon after I bought it. The group is now on my Tommasini (lugged steel - was just crying out for an alloy group!) and I'm looking at getting either CF Centaur or Chorus on it, but just waiting on getting the funds sorted...

Let me know if you've got any questions that I could help you with.

·
Registered
599 Posts
raymonda said:
Where does one get information on the Nuovo Super Corsa?

iirc, the nuovo supercorsa was replaced by the cinelli spirit in 2006. GVH still has a few sizes of NSC's in stock.

geometry and sizing is nearly identical to the aliante,& unica models.
the frame is constructed of oversize multishaped Columbus Ultrafoco (differentially butted thermacrom/niobium steel) and weighs approx.1580 g.in a M (toptube 54.5 c-c virtual).total frameset weight (frame,fork, headset, & seat binder) is approx 1950 g with a columbus 'new carve' fork

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks, Caterham, as are yours. I've wanted a Super Corsa for about 20 years, and when I saw the Nuovo's that got added to the list, but I need another steel frame like I need a hole in my head! It didn't help seeing yours as it's in my favourite colour...

I don't have any detail pics available at the moment, but I'll get them sorted over the weekend and post them (I'm working away at the moment).

Have you still got the Ram seatpost? If you have and want to unload it, I might be interested.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Unica said:
I've wanted a Super Corsa for about 20 years, and when I saw the Nuovo's that got added to the list, but I need another steel frame like I need a hole in my head! .
i know what you mean.... i keep oogling at supercorsa's myself...i've never owned one of those and in my weaker moments, i think to myself how nice it would be to have a set of classic & contemporary china blue supercorsa's sitting side by side....
somebody ...please shoot me

Unica said:
... I'll get them sorted over the weekend and post them..
that would be kewl...it's an interesting and unique design.... have you considered hunting down a cinelli alter stem to visually compliment the seatstay bridge?

Unica said:
Have you still got the Ram seatpost? If you have and want to unload it, I might be interested.
i still have it and hadn't really considered selling before now. i'll mull it over & let you know via the pm if it needs a new home.
best,
k

·
Registered
204 Posts
Brake bridge pics

So here's a couple of pics of the rear bridge and 1 of the rear profile.

It never occurred to me about the Alter stem 'matching' the bridge. I always liked them because of the inserts you could get for them - forza, Mario!. This came with a B Groove that I didn't really get on with as it made the worst noises, but only when I was standing up...It all got to much, and I ended up with the 3T one instead. I'm going to change it again as it's a touch to long, so if I see an Alter in black and yellow, I'll give it a go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.