Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where you can find a Cinelli Grammo titanium quill stem still? Can't locate anywhere. Must be new, or NOS. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
DougSloan said:
Anyone know where you can find a Cinelli Grammo titanium quill stem still? Can't locate anywhere. Must be new, or NOS. Thanks.
Parker-International in the UK has grammo listed but they don't say if it's Ti.

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/handlebar_stems.htm

I'm not sure if they still ship to the US, I've heard they won't ship frames anymore. I'm not sure about components.

St John Street Cycles doens't have the listed but they might be worth calling. They have a ton of old quill stems

Deeside Cycles might be another option.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
If not from those sources, try Ebay

They come up on ebay frequently (there is one on there now), some are NOS. I bought one last year to go on my Landshark, not NOS, but with a little time on the buffing wheel, no one will know the difference. They look great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Oh Grammo, where art thou?

I was looking for the same thing about 4 months ago; after a lot of calling and mailing the only place that could supply the quill stem, was an italian shop. Price: 160 euros, normally 253 euros. Then I had a brainwave and called a LBS that I hadn't visited for 10 years. He had one (gathering dust probably) in the right size, sold it to me for 75 euros.

The morale to this story: I believe that they have disappeared from regular stock, certainly from internet/mail order businesses that rely on fast turnover. your best bet would be to call around for LBS's that may have one gathering dust. Or E-bay of course.
It did make me think about some fatal flaw of the Grammo I'm not aware of, though! But I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What length do you need?

I have a 125mm Grammo quill, bought from Parker Int several years ago, that I installed on a Colnago I had at the time and it was a bit too long. I took it off and put it away. It was never ridden.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone -- good leads nm

DougSloan said:
thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
t5rguy said:
It did make me think about some fatal flaw of the Grammo I'm not aware of, though! But I'm happy with mine.
The fatal flaw of the Grammo with the Titanium Oxide anodizing is that whilst being beautiful to look at it weakens the strcture of the stem. Titanium Oxide is exactly what makers of Ti components are looking to avoid!!!

And I doubt they are very stiff either!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
grammo flaw?

Rob S said:
The fatal flaw of the Grammo with the Titanium Oxide anodizing is that whilst being beautiful to look at it weakens the strcture of the stem. Titanium Oxide is exactly what makers of Ti components are looking to avoid!!!

And I doubt they are very stiff either!!
Are you describing the rainbow colored grammos?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts