Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
What a nice bike ...

I had not heard of the nuovo corsa until I saw one on ebay, but now it is probably the frame that I want the most.

lucky for you, that bike ain't my size

·
Registered
449 Posts
Modern and traditional

That's a good looking bike. I like the mix of modern and traditional with the oversized, shaped tubing combined with nice lug work at the bottom bracket.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's a very interesting frame.......

A combination of modern and traditional techniques.

Modern: (Mega shaped tubes - Ultra Foco, Tig welded (looks like tig and possibly covered/filed or maybe just small fillets, internal headset, sloped Top tube).

Traditional: (Lugged Bottom bracket, Bottom bracket with old style cable guide, Seat tube clamp, Socket rear drop outs, Brazed on front derailleur tab, Chrome).

Hmmm..... I wonder how or where this frame came into being. It must have been made just at a point where the two styles were changing....kind of like a bridge from one to the next.....

Some might call it inconsistent, but it doesn't bother me, I'm open minded :) Maybe it is just the right combination of both. The best of both worlds.

I always loved the look of the Foco Chain stays. Cool

No it is steel.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi all. thanks for all the nice words. I'm pretty jazzed,myself.

: )

DY123 said:
>>>Ultra Foco, Tig welded (looks like tig and possibly covered/filed or maybe just small fillets<<<.
Not much info is still available on these framesets but Cinelli specifically referred to the frame as being constructed of fillet brazed Columbus UltraFoco.ie:>>>"the classic look of Supercorsa, but with the most
advanced technologies (fillet brazing, sloping, integrated head tube, carbon
front fork, Columbus Ultrafoco tubes.......)"<<<

DY123 said:
>>> Maybe it is just the right combination of both. The best of both worlds.<<<
That's what I'm hoping for anyway. She's only been built up for a few days now and I've got less than 175 miles on her.So far, I'm very impressed.I've a little fine tuning to do yet but the overall combination of nimbleness,stability, stiffness, comfort, predictability and road feel appears superbe.

DY123 said:
I always loved the look of the Foco Chain stays. Cool
Thanks. Me,too.

best,
k

G

·
Caterham,

Beautiful.

I often find myself drifting over to the SuperCorsa's to "look" - where did you find this?

Does it look like the paint will be a "little" more durable than Cinelli's paint usually is???

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
toomanybikes said:
Caterham,

Beautiful.

I often find myself drifting over to the SuperCorsa's to "look" - where did you find this?

Does it look like the paint will be a "little" more durable than Cinelli's paint usually is???
Hi 2many,
I've been trying to track down the frame for a couple years now but was never able to locate one except on a Japanese dealer site.About 7-8 weeks ago, Ital-Tecno posted a M and an XL on eBay -the very first time I'd seen any for sale in the US. I gave them a phone call to see if they could get one in my size. They took down my name and number, not making any promises, and after about a month, I got a telephone call that they could get me one in my size in China Blue. I just said yes-how could I not? lol
5 days later and she arrived at the door.
I noticed that GVH just got in 4 frames in red,too. My suspicion is that when these are gone, the model will be history.A shame,really.

I've no idea about the durability of the paint but I suspect that, like the regular Supercorsa', the frame is chromed beneath and that the paint will be fairly fragile. If you look closely at the pics of the rear dropouts and the seat cluster, you'll notice that I've already put clear vinyl stay protector strips on the both chainstays and the seatstays *just in case*.I've since put another on the toptube near the headset and one on the downtube to fend off the occassional dropped allen wrench.Maybe I should have it vinyl dipped instead? hahaha

best,
k

·
uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
sweetness!!!

never heard of it before. i've got a mid 80's supercorsa and an '01 starlight, i thought i was pretty much set. looks like i was wrong...

enjoy, cinelli's do have a certain magic about them.

·
Know It All
152 Posts
caterham said:
fillet brazing
Wow. I don't usually comment on all the sweet new bikes around here (because there are just so darn many) but that bike is absurdly nice -- it might even be my recent favorite. I want one! Fillet brazing on a non custom frame? That's something I haven't seen this side of those old Schwinns.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Been 3 weeks since that first post, have you had a chance to give it some distance? Ride report? GVH has a red one in my size, since it's built from ultrafoco and with only a BB lug it should be light. Can you compare to another steel frame? i like the look.......

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
hi cmg,

I only have about 350 miles on the Nuovo Supercorsa to date and have yet to take her out on any really big climbs with steep twisty descents so I'll reserve final judgement until I've become more familiar with its character and behaviour on more extreme terrain.
Regardless, I know enuf already to say that it's a definate keeper. The handling, is a touch on the pointy/sensitive side of neutral -ie: more like a Pegoretti than, say, a Colnago.The bike prefers being ridden hard and feels very secure at speed. Climbing is great, in or out of the saddle- plenty stiff with no appreciable b-bkt flex .Tracks straight,stable,& true and I find that I can effortlessly sit up and ride no-hands for miles at a time,steering thru corners soley by weight shifts.
I'd characterize the ride as more toward the firm side than plush yet it's smooth and not at all harsh. Very pleasant road feel,with excellent feedback.It's nimble, responsive, lively and great fun to ride.

best,
k

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,565 Posts
In that small of frame size, it might be overly stiff, but in a 60cm frame, it would make a great race frame. It's nice to see Cinelli finally making a frame in a "modern" steel. You even get a little chrome.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi MrG,

My characterisation isn't a negative- more one of its character relative to other bikes that I'm familiar with and an amplification of what I'm observing for the sake of illumination.
In fact, my primary reference point for ride quality continues to be my old & trusty and, by modern standards, flexy Columbus SL tubed DeRosa.

If anything, I'm thinking that that the N Sc's very short, tall profile chainstays are likely the main contributor to this feeling of firmness/directness, moreso than the shaped oversize UltraFoco top and downtubes. I'm also of the opinion that those stays are also largely responsible for the bike's sensations of direct and immediate responsiveness to inputs and pedalling efficiency .
I'm not getting any impressions that the bike will beat me up over longer rides or that the roadholding over rough, loose or irregular surfaces is in any way compromised.

Even at this early point in time, I'm confident that the Nuovo Supercorsa is one of the finest bikes that I've ever owned or ridden but regardless it does have a personality which I'm still in the process of discovering.To conclude anything beyond that will just take some more mileage and a broader variety of riding situations.

best,
k

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know it's been a long time, but how's the 1 year mark been with this beauty?

I'm considering getting one myself!

I'm a carbon 2008 Trek Madone 5.5 rider now and love it, have a 2004 Trek 2200 aluminum with upgrades and love it too, so the Cinelli will be my foray into Steel.

I like how this frame is modern, has gorgeous lines and welds, but still is steel... try to get an old world feel, yet with modern tech. It will be my second compact geo too.

-Hunter

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
hi brownie,

after a year , the nuovo supercorsa has become my primary ride. it took a little time to get it just the way i like but my initial impressions have only solidified- the bike is a phenomenal sprinter and climber- very responsive,tending towards the quick side of neutral, yet stable, confident and predictable handling- it prefers being ridden hard and fast, feeling more stable at high speeds than when schlepping around. the ride is very firm and lively but not harsh. its road feel and grip are very good to excellent and invites hammering out of the corners and fast twisty descents. it ain't no easy chair tho.

i've made quite a few minor and not so minor changes since i first posted- some purely for aesthetics and some for fine tuning the fit and improving performance- the biggest changes were in swapping out the campy proton/veloflex pave' clinchers for nucleon /veloflex criterium tubulars, an upgrade from a columbus light tusk fork to a 'new' carve and reverting to my old trusty regal saddles from the fizik arione (and briefly a selle italia). i discovered that i gained better control and precision using a saddle with a distinct sidewall and that the benefit easily overshadowed the added weight. i also bumped up the stem length by 1 cm. cosmetically i swapped out the carbon crank,seatpost & spacers for some alloy & titanium bits and am pretty pleased with the overall look now.
here's a couple fairly recent pics-

best,
k

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.