Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now is the time for all Cinelli owners to speak up. We're off in "other" land but be loud and be proud of your Italian steed.

I ride a 2001 Starship and love every second of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Starships Rule

I recently bought a 2002 Starship frame with a Muscle fork. It's now finished and I love the ride. It's better than my Calfee or Aegis. One thing is for sure, you won't see anyone else out there riding the same bike.
MrCinelli

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Not yet, but counting the days...

I've got an 03 Proxima frame with full Ultegra coming soon from GVHBikes. Unfortunately I have to go to Switzerland (yeah, I know--you cry for me) next week so I had to have them delay shipping. Once I've got it, I'll try to post a photo or at least give a quick review.

Though I'm keen to go to Switzerland, and have a definite need for a vacation, it was hard to make myself tell them to hold off. I want it NOW!

·
9,416 Posts
NOW I'm a Cinelli owner

My Proxima came in last night. I haven't done anything more than assemble it and ride it up and down the block in jeans and street shoes, so I can't review, but it looks the business, and fits great. I may need to invert the stem, as the bars are much lower than I'm accustomed to, but I'm not changing anything until I get a few miles on it.

I'll try to post a photo soon--but you can picture it: Flat black with white lettering (the lettering has red outlines), black bar tape, all Ultegra. Sure, it's strange to have Shimano on an Italian bike, but to be honest I'm not sure how "made in Italy" this frame is anyway. Regardless, it's a good deal beyond what I've had before, so I'm well chuffed.

I've seen a review or two of this frame that complained about "rough welds." Let me just say that, while they're definitely not polished to be nice and smooth ala recent Can-o-ale, they're very professional looking and even. No way would I complain about them. There were also complaints about the fact that the bike is not clear-coated. Well, you've got me there--it isn't, and the decals are right out in the open. I'm not sure how you'd get a flat black bike with clearcoat, though, so I frankly never expected it would have it. I'm neither suprised nor disappointed.

Looking forward to a nice ride this evening!

·
EuroCrash
478 Posts
Hey Pyg,

How's the clearence between your crankarm and chainstay? Mine was minimal and I actually had to get another frame (LOOK) instead - sad because I really liked how the Starlight rode, but maybe I was too fat for it.

Btw anyone interesed in the frame+fork, very cheap, let me know!

SS

·
9,416 Posts
What size?

52-16SS said:
Hey Pyg,

How's the clearence between your crankarm and chainstay? Mine was minimal and I actually had to get another frame (LOOK) instead - sad because I really liked how the Starlight rode, but maybe I was too fat for it.

Btw anyone interesed in the frame+fork, very cheap, let me know!

SS
What size is your frame? I'm kind of looking for a second bike, and it would be way cool to have a shiny white one to go with my flat black one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cinelli Proxima

Hello All,
Just wanted to share a photo of my Cinelli Proxima as it sits right now.

2004 Cinelli Proxima (Sky Blue)
Campagnolo Chorus Group
Look KEO pedals
Deda Metalstick seatpost & 215 handlebars
Selle San Marco Aspide saddle
ITM Forged Lite Carbon stem
Mavic Ksyrium SSC wheels (Campagnolo Scirocco training wheels)
Michelin ProRace tires
Tacx bottle cages and Cateye wireless computer

It's my first aluminum frame and so far after about 500+ miles the ride seems very responsive and quick (borderline twitchy but it's exactly what I was looking for). Additionally, the frame is very stiff and relatively lightweight (feels like a 16-17 lbs bike).

·
Registered
52 Posts
New Cinelli Mecano owner here in Australia

Confirmed my Cinelli Mecano order with the LBS today - ready this Friday, in time for a Sat ride!

Specs:
- full Shimano Ultegra group set/ 07 Ultegra wheel set/ pedal set
- white Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Trans-Am saddle woth matching bar tape
- color carbon/orange

Will take photo's this w/end, in the mean time a scan...

Is it just me, but there does not seem many discussion's about Cinelli bikes on this & other on-line forums?

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice bike. I'm jealous. One of these days I'll have the $3k to drop on an XLR8R frame.

·
Registered
52 Posts
& here she is!

My Bella next to my other Italian Bruto (AlfaRomeo 147GTA #100/100 the last of teh Italian 3.2 V6s)

Apologies if the photo is not up to standard...

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PhatG said:
My Bella next to my other Italian Bruto (AlfaRomeo 147GTA #100/100 the last of teh Italian 3.2 V6s)
Which is faster??? :eek:

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found a Starlight on ebay today. If only it were in black...ah hell. Who am I kidding. I'd buy it if I had the $$$.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
sorry no pic, but i have a starship, flat back

with record 10, zero g brakes, AM classic sprint 350 wheels, it is my hill climb bike
very nice--incredibly so since i usually have trouble with aluminum being harsh (after a rear-end MVA). my prior climbing bike was a coppi KSC plane--sold after the car accident. the strship i find more comfortable (longest ride on it 106 miles)
jim

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jimcav said:
with record 10, zero g brakes, AM classic sprint 350 wheels, it is my hill climb bike
very nice--incredibly so since i usually have trouble with aluminum being harsh (after a rear-end MVA). my prior climbing bike was a coppi KSC plane--sold after the car accident. the strship i find more comfortable (longest ride on it 106 miles)
jim
I have the flat black Starship as well. It was love at first sight. I've commuted on it for over 5,000 miles with nary a problem.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.