Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Making memories
285 Posts
I Gots One!

It's the same as the Columbus SL frame. It was unpainted when I bought it, had it clear coated, slapped on some spare 9speed campy stuff, and some kysrium sl wheels the LBS was unloading. Bam! And now I have a "plastique" bike. It's presently built with a Force drivetrain and compact crank. Current weight is a touch under 17 pounds w/pedals.

It's my first carbon bike other than an oooold trek compost-it. I have three other road bikes but right now this has been getting all of the attention. It handles awesome, is quick but not twitchy and holds a line well. Is very solid in response...ie push the pedals and it goes. Climbs great. I feel lots of bumps, perhaps from the stiffer wheels, but it doesn't beat me up. Longest ride on this bike has been 4 hours; not as smooth as the steel Mondonico but still a pleasure to ride. It fits me very well (FIT is KEY to any bike). And it just looks good. I have no complaints really.

Be careful though. Carbon explodes.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Bob
That is priceless!

I must confess to having to Babelfish 'Vecchio et lento' and nearly fell off my chair laughing.

Not a bad looking bike either. Where did you get your Columbus SL, or am I missing something? This would be hard to top though.

Regards

Dereck
Cough, splutter, still laughing

·
Making memories
285 Posts
Dereck said:
Bob
That is priceless!

I must confess to having to Babelfish 'Vecchio et lento' and nearly fell off my chair laughing.

Not a bad looking bike either. Where did you get your Columbus SL, or am I missing something? This would be hard to top though.

Regards

Dereck
Cough, splutter, still laughing
Well thank you, glad I could bring some laughter. I bought the frame on ebay from a guy in Ft Collins, CO who had extra frames from his team. They were only on ebay a short time, 1-2 days, in Nov/Dec and were snatched up quickly. I've seen some of the Taiwan/Chinese frames with a similar look and geometry on ebay. IMO, can't verify of course, I think Columbus is having their frames made somewhere else than Italy. Oh the horror. What's next, Campy being made in Ethiopia? Oh yeah, I got the decals from bikenames.com

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's hard to get anything made at 'home' these days. My Bob Jackson is about as close as it comes - the factory moved to the next village around 20 years ago, maybe ten miles, but the frame is about as 'made in Britain' as it could be these days.

Have noted that bikenames.com - could come in handy, though I can't think of anything funnier than yours, on account of I think about it, I fall over laughing. It's not only funny, it's a rare splash of originality that you seldom see in cycling nowadays. I went on a group ride a couple of weeks ago - have just moved here - one guy asks me if I got the Bob Jackson's back end opened up to take a ten speed wheel. He looked surprised when I told him it was only five years old.

Yours could leave someone laughing so much, at the right moment, you could up the road before they've stopped spluttering...

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update...

I've got about 300 + miles on the Willin now. It has been a pleasure to ride. The steering a little quick on the down hills , but it is not twitchy or anything when standing and hammering. Ride is firm , but not harsh. Very pleased with this frame.

Funny, I didn't go back and read Vandalbob post until after I posted this report. It seems we had the exact same report.

·
Making memories
285 Posts
I Like It!

Really like how the stem and seatpost compliment the frame.

I've been battling some squeaking/creaking lately and it's bloody driving me crazy. Initially thought it was the stem/headset 'cuz the top cap was also getting loose during a ride. A washer and some TLC at the shop solved that. Figured it might be the bottom bracket next but not the case. Seems to be from the seatpost. I have a thomson. Have read on velonews.com some suggestions by Mr. Zin to cut down the length of the post. May try that.

Either way, I hope you continue to enjoy the ride of the Cinelli.....I do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was lucky enough to grab one of those frames from Rist Cycleworks last winter also. Same clearcoat-only finish, moved my Ultegra 9 from a steel frame I was retiring, and put a pair of American Classic 350's on. I found some hot rod red Cinelli vinyl from a vendor in the UK to make an reverse of my red Cinelli Xperience with black logos...

The frame rides like a dream. Fast, smooth, good road feel, stiff enough. It's like a perfect bridge between my creamy steel Bridgestone and the light, stiff Xperience.

I got the frame crazy cheap, but would not hesitate to recommend the frame in either Columbus or Cinelli versions.

BTW, the Columbus website indicates the frame is designed in Italy, made in Asia...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Vandalbob,

Love your bike and the decals had me in stitches! Think most of the carbon out there is the "asplosione" weave" :) . Have you seen my bike, the Ganja Pro 420? Maybe they were made in the same factory?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts