Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I participated in my first-ever competition with the Ciocc, an alley cat race. Not quite sanctioned, but a race nevertheless. You have checkpoints, it's a bicycle messenger race.

I finished 10th overall, and the margin of victory between 4th and I was only like 10 minutes. We were all bunched up and I led for a good portion of the race but some of the objectives killed me and got me separated from the group. I had to change a tube, okay, I've done this several times on the Ciocc, Superior, etc., all bikes with big wheels, and low and behold all the wheels on the table are like 12" :mad2: that cost me a few positions.

best objective was to find two or three guys on our team who volunteered to be checkpoint, walking up and down a long street that had a monster tailwind at the time. This was where the Ciocc had the advantage because 90% of the fixed gear participants, making up 85% of the total field, had 48-16 gearing, where I have the 9-speed double with 52-11 final, I can drop them, and this road was a couple miles long so I really got to open it up wide.

but before I did all of that I bought some toys for my bike

old rear

new sex

old front

and old front right back on

it won't go over far enough to get in the big ring, I need to shorten my crank spindle by about 2 or 3 mm

and my parts hook-up

crank and BB coming soon

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
TWB8s said:
pull the pin already.
Yes, please do. Please. The conglomoration of half a dozen types and vintages of "foreign" parts on that bike is painful to consider.

If you are actually interested in RESTORING the Ciocc, go one step further and find a gruppo not only of the appropriate origin, but also of the correct vintage. Anyone can dress up an old frame with new parts; but to restore it to its original grandeur ...... that is a worthwhile pursuit!

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the original 600 groupset here but it for the most part is neglected and was left in the rain to rot by the previous owner. I wanted to build a rider with new stuff not something that's going to collect dust in my house for weeks.

The Schwinn project is staying period-correct, if not very close to it.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
That's it.

JustTooBig said:
Yes, please do. Please. The conglomoration of half a dozen types and vintages of "foreign" parts on that bike is painful to consider.

If you are actually interested in RESTORING the Ciocc, go one step further and find a gruppo not only of the appropriate origin, but also of the correct vintage. Anyone can dress up an old frame with new parts; but to restore it to its original grandeur ...... that is a worthwhile pursuit!
The bike getting raced with Shimano is way better then some period correct bike that doesn't. Too many nice old race bikes turn into fetish items never used for their intended purpose. This is madness, and it stops here. Additionally, steel in fact isn't all that real. Campy does in fact wear out, not in. Tubular road tires don't ride nicer than high end clinchers. Handbuilt wheels aren't magic. Brooks saddles aren't for everyone. Black socks are fine. Weight and aero do matter. And yes, that Protour Jersey DOES make you look like a dork. So what, are you 12? Just wear it and get over yourself.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Coolhand said:
The bike getting raced with Shimano is way better then some period correct bike that doesn't. Too many nice old race bikes turn into fetish items never used for their intended purpose. This is madness, and it stops here. Additionally, steel in fact isn't all that real. Campy does in fact wear out, not in. Tubular road tires don't ride nicer than high end clinchers. Handbuilt wheels aren't magic. Brooks saddles aren't for everyone. Black socks are fine. Weight and aero do matter. And yes, that Protour Jersey DOES make you look like a dork. So what, are you 12? Just wear it and get over yourself.
[email protected]*&!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts