Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is not much out there better than having a bike built by a local builder and being part of the process, rather than just specing out the bike. It was a totally organic process, a give and take through design and execution.
We went with lugs, partly because that was what they were most comfortable doing and partly because it just looks cool. I'm 6'2" and around 190#. Bike needed to be stiff, somewhere between a classic steel ride and a carbon. Oversized tubes, sloping top tube. I also went a bit long on the top tube to stretch me out a bit. It had to be 953. I envisioned using this as my training bike and occasional race bike. Mostly for longer road races or training races.
Always had a thing for orange bikes. Real challange in the paint was getting something that was both classic and modern looking. After playing with a couple ideas it really seemed like painted lugs were the way to go. Plus it's one of the things circle A does really well. Rear triangle was left raw, and it's a highlight of the frame. Pinstipes were my idea and I think they really add something without making it too busy.
Build was with Dura Ace 7900. I kept carbon to a minimum, Thompson stem and seatpost. Shimano PRO alum handlebars. CK headset. Reynolds Assault's. Easton EC90 fork.
Ride is awesome. By far the best riding steel frame I've had. Can certainly feel a loss of power especially in sprints versus my carbon bike. Real joy building it up, especially not having to borrow a torque wrench. Weight is very respectable (never put it on a scale) I could certainly drop a lot of weight if that was the goal, but it wasn't. Durability was.

·
Registered
579 Posts
That has to be one of the nicest bikes I have ever seen. Hat's off to your design and color choices. Those lugs "really tie the room together" and set off the orange perfectly. Jeez, you could go on and on about this bike. The seat and chainstay combo really hits the mark as well.

Headed to Circle A's site now. Bravo.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Anyone who says they don't make 'em like they used needs to check out your bike.

Agree on the lugs and sloping top tube, it's sharp -- and one of the very few road bikes I have seen that looks good with that Thomson layback post.

What I mean is, many modern steel rides are trying to be exactly what bikes were thirty years ago, yours is clearly retro-inspired, but still modern. I like it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a similar bike coming my way from Fast Boy Cycles here in NYC. Also going with a lugged frame and oversize tubes. Thomson stem and seatpost, and carbon wheels as well. Going off to paint next week. This post is getting me pretty excited. Well spec'd and great color choice on your bike! I've picked every single aspect of the bike, but still a bit confused about what color to paint it.

·
Making memories
285 Posts
Kaleo said:
Very nice build, great blend of traditional and contemporary. I'll always have respect for beautifully lugged frame.
Ditto. Simply stunning. Gotta do it, Campy would make it sooooo much better though. Enjoy your ride for many many years. Well Done!

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback.
vandalbob, you had to throw down with the Campy! Oh no you di'int.
No doubt campy looks great on lugged classic bikes. It was kinda stretch aesthetically for the 7900.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.