Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so there was some poo-pooing of CK's fundraiser for der cancer charity. Cycling News, today, reported the results of the latest CK charity campaign here.

I think for a company of CK's size, a donation of a bit over $10,000 is pretty spiffy. We've all seen much bigger companies donate less money to worthy causes. As someone married to a cancer survivor, best friends w/ someone w/ terminal cancer....$10,300 and change is a very worthy and admirable effort by CK. Here's hoping they do it again and more companies and people do similar.

·
Registered
602 Posts
great job for a worthy cause

alienator said:
Ok, so there was some poo-pooing of CK's fundraiser for der cancer charity. Cycling News, today, reported the results of the latest CK charity campaign here.

I think for a company of CK's size, a donation of a bit over $10,000 is pretty spiffy. We've all seen much bigger companies donate less money to worthy causes. As someone married to a cancer survivor, best friends w/ someone w/ terminal cancer....$10,300 and change is a very worthy and admirable effort by CK. Here's hoping they do it again and more companies and people do similar.

I'm glad their campaign was successful. My wife would be a bit sour hearing about this. She recently went out and bought the limited edition pink razr by Motorola thinking that a portion of the proceeds would go towards breast cancer. Nope. Just a pretty color. :(

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mr meow meow said:
I'm glad their campaign was successful. My wife would be a bit sour hearing about this. She recently went out and bought the limited edition pink razr by Motorola thinking that a portion of the proceeds would go towards breast cancer. Nope. Just a pretty color. :(

Ya know that brings up a good idea: it would be an easy, low effort way for companies to raise money for charities while raising their own social consciousness cred if they followed the lead of CK. Imagine the money that could be raised if Motorola did donate a small portion of such sales. Imagine the money some car maker could raise selling a pink car or a yellow car (for LAF). Again they could keep a big chunk for profit and costs and STILL give a hefty amount to charities.

More companies and people just doing a little bit more would raise a lot more money than a select few donating a lot.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
alienator said:

I believe I was the one who started "poo-pooing" CK's fundraiser - can't find the thread. anyway, having them reveal the amount that was donated certainly does put my mind at ease - I don't remember it being revealed last year. and yes, they are a small company, and $10000 is a significant donation. I wonder if they really sold 10000 headsets.

·
Registered
804 Posts
They probably didn't sell 10k pink headsets but if you include all the hubs and headset spacer kits they sold the numbers are probably right. I've got a complete pink King set on my MTB (disc hubs, spacer kit and headset).

Terry also has a pink womens saddle they're selling where 20% of the profits are being donated to breast cancer research although I'm not if it's tied to the SGK foundation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts