Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Clamp-on shift lever help needed

839 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  buck-50 
#1 ·
Anyone know if anyone ever made a shift lever clamp (for frames that don't have shifter bosses) for OS downtubes?

I've got several old campy clamp-ons, but none of them will fit a late 80's mtb frame...

I suppose I could try to fab something myself, but that seems pretty unlikely...

#3 ·
yeah, I kinda figured that.

I've got a chrome mtb frame coming, and I want to build it up with a single downtube shifter- my plan is to run inverse brake levers on french-style city bars, and I'd really like to keep the shifting off the handlebars...

#4 ·
buck-50 said:
yeah, I kinda figured that.

I've got a chrome mtb frame coming, and I want to build it up with a single downtube shifter- my plan is to run inverse brake levers on french-style city bars, and I'd really like to keep the shifting off the handlebars...

here's a wild idea... seatpost

#6 ·
FatTireFred said:
here's a wild idea... seatpost
No, I'd like the shifting to be functional, not decorative...:D I've got thumbshifters that will work if necessary, but I'm not sure how they'd work with inverse brake levers.

I've also got some Kelly Take-Offs I could mess with, but a single campy nuovo record friction shifter on the down-tube is my goal- I'd really like to keep the handlebars as clean as possible.

Touch0Gray- I'll know the diameter tonight when the frame arrives- I'll let you know.

#8 ·
FatTireFred said:
make no mistake, it would work, it's been done before
It would work, no doubt. It would not be easy to use while wearing winter gloves and riding through heavy snow, which is crucial for this bike.

#9 ·
buck-50 said:
It would work, no doubt. It would not be easy to use while wearing winter gloves and riding through heavy snow, which is crucial for this bike.

but you would "really like to keep the shifting off the handlebars"? huh...

#10 ·
FatTireFred said:
but you would "really like to keep the shifting off the handlebars"? huh...
Yeah, I'm willing to sacrifice a little practicality for style... But I do a lot of shifting with DT shifters- Half my bikes have DT shifters, so I'm kinda used to the reach.

I saw someone using interupter levers as inverse levers (and the only brake lever on the bike) and then running bar end shifters behind that...

couldn't decide if that was a cool idea or an accident waiting to happen...

#11 ·
buck-50 said:
Yeah, I'm willing to sacrifice a little practicality for style... But I do a lot of shifting with DT shifters- Half my bikes have DT shifters, so I'm kinda used to the reach.

I saw someone using interupter levers as inverse levers (and the only brake lever on the bike) and then running bar end shifters behind that...

couldn't decide if that was a cool idea or an accident waiting to happen...

you can have both... style and practicality

#15 ·
Touch0Gray said:
you ever figure out the diameter?
Yeah, according to Andy at Yellow Jersey, no one ever made a clamp on at that size... but he can build me one for not too much...

Jonny at Jonnycycles says he can braze two studs onto the frame for not too much at all... seems like the right way to go... only thing that I'm a little unsure about is that the frame is chrome, so brazing a couple bosses onto the frame is going to trash the chrome in that area...

I've got one other trick up my sleeve if these two fall through.

Got the paint stripped off the frame today and did my test build- this is gonna be one gorgeous bike... hopefully not too gorgeous for winter riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.