Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 20 year old mountain bikes that I pulled from my folks garage. They have not been used since me and my sister were in HS. A long time ago. The parts are rusty, some worse than others. I just wanna mix and match the least rusted parts to form one usable bike. I just need it to go back and forth to the beach w/ a surfboard rack on it. No intense riding.

These frames and the old 7 speed deore parts ain't worth much. The rust on the frames are not too bad. So, should I clean um up, buy a new front and rear D's (they are the most rusted parts) or dump um?

Should I have posted in Wrenching?

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
hmmm hard to tell but they might be usable.

some of that stuff is trash for sure though, like that freewheel... wonder if that thing will spin at all.

the thing is, to properly take that stuff apart, clean lube and reassemble, you need a few basic tools and some knowledge and patience.

you might end up spending more than a used beater bike would cost, just on parts you'll need.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do all my own wrenching. I saw wheels on ebay for 100-150 and was wondering if it's even worth it. These frames are worth like 50 bucks at best

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
thanks for the bigger pix. since you know how to wrench, just clean and lube and put 'em together, they should work. new cables and pads and rubber likely needed.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creakyknees said:
thanks for the bigger pix. since you know how to wrench, just clean and lube and put 'em together, they should work. new cables and pads and rubber likely needed.
I was thinking new freewheel, chain and cables.. I'll give it a whirl..

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Do you have a local co-op you could donate them to ?

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I've fixed up many in worse shape than those are. Definitely salvageable. I donate to needy kids and have powdercoated several for presents to my kids. Last May I gave my DIL one that I turned into a 1x8 for her around town bike. Custom decals and all.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
My "new" winter beater is a Trek 930 that I bought on CL for $40- and rebuilt with a bunch of parts that I had kicking around. Bought an inexpensive wheelset and a couple of other things, and it was just perfect for this past winter.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just sanded all the rust off the white frame. Seems like it was just surface rust. Any ideas on how I should paint it? Do I need a primer coat? Can I just spray it. Any suggestions of what paint to use?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
ClassicSteel71 said:
I just sanded all the rust off the white frame. Seems like it was just surface rust. Any ideas on how I should paint it? Do I need a primer coat? Can I just spray it. Any suggestions of what paint to use?

old paint makes good primer, but your prep is important... car auto touch-up is fairly durable at $3/can in just about any color under the sun, but any rattlecan job will be more likely to scratch/chip

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Look in the yellow pages for a powder coater in your area. I get mine powdercoated for $60-65 and it's much more durable than a home rattle can job and a lot easier. It looks a ton better than I could spray at home, too. While it's not a perfect job for that price (my powdercoater does a lot of farm machinery, industrial parts and dirt track car frames) it sure beats my skills and time. Drop it off and usually pick it up in a week or two depending on their workload. Almost any color you want as long as it's one color.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mel Erickson said:
Look in the yellow pages for a powder coater in your area. I get mine powdercoated for $60-65 and it's much more durable than a home rattle can job and a lot easier. It looks a ton better than I could spray at home, too. While it's not a perfect job for that price (my powdercoater does a lot of farm machinery, industrial parts and dirt track car frames) it sure beats my skills and time. Drop it off and usually pick it up in a week or two depending on their workload. Almost any color you want as long as it's one color.
My buddy owns an auto body shop. I'm gonna give him a buzz. I may get lucky and get it painted for free or at least real cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Look in the local Craigslist for similar era and quality of bikes and see what they are going for. Your 830 is going for $85 where I live... http://portland.craigslist.org/search/bik?query=Trek+mountain+bike&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

is it worth $ to fix,or buy? Whats your time worth? Would you feel better about your bike or yourself if you wrenched on it and brought it back?

btw.. check the frame for straightness and the seat post to be loose before you start working on them. My hard learned experience..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts