Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding that my brake cable housings on my hybrid are excessively long, especailly when I see the brake setup on a road bike, But then before I try anything, does the brake design have anything to do with the length of the cable housings? Small details (if it matters) are that the brakes are Avid SD-7's routed to Avid 1.9SL levers.

I will admit that my desire for a change in cable housing setup is partially due to aesthetic reasons....and they're dangling about annoyingly when I'm on bumpy roads.

Another follow up question is if the brake design isn't a factor in housing length: any cheap, already "compact" housing sets? Or would it be a matter of cutting them?

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
Hybrids are generally assembled in a factory that doesn't trim the housing very carefully, and on most sizes, the housing ends up too long. It probably isn't a problem that's worth your time, unless the cable is binding in the housing. There are a couple of tricks to try: Zip tie the housing to the frame an inch or so away from the housing stop, this will straighten the exit from the housing, and help the cable move freely at that point; Put more tension on the brake arms using the centering screws in each arm, This will help the brake arms pull the cable through any sticky spots in the housing; A couple drops of chain lube in the housing might also help.

If none of these help, replace the cable and housing with better quality stuff, making sure the housing is cut to an appropriate length.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Puchnuts said:
And a few photos would help immensely. We can't advise without a picture.
I've been trying but the uploader to this site keeps saying it's failing. So here's one via photobucket. The routing was setup "Moto" style (front brake on the right). Broth front and rear brake cable housings loop around pretty far.

...Although I was only talking about my brake cable housings, I can't help but notice the rear derailleur cable housing is pretty long as well.

https://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/F430Challenge/bike/?action=view&current=DSC01567.jpg

Stogaguy, thanks for the links, especially the parktool one. Now I know what to get when trimming the housings.

Stagehand, I've already got the brake tension pretty high since I like the feel of greater brake actuation resistence. I'm not so fond of using zip-ties but if cutting doesn't seem reasonable, I guess I'd do that. But yeah I'm understanding what you're saying in regards to whether or not I acutally should cut the housings. Brakes funciton well, but I'm just bothered by the slightly messy look of everything.

·
Old Skool
722 Posts
Change the front noodle

Thanks for posting the photo.

Front brake - From the looks of it you are not going to be able to shorten the front brake housing too much and keep the bends smooth. They do sell noodles that have more than a 90 degree bend. With the "moto" setup this would let you trim the housing a bit more.

Rear brake - You can very easily shorten this a bunch and get a much smoother bend.

Shifter - Lots of extra there as well. Shorten away!

Have fun cleaning up your rig.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts