Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a Raleigh Supercourse. What cleaner do I use on the carbon frame? Also, what degreaser should I use on the components that won't harm the carbon fiber?

Thanks.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
If you really need a degreaser pretty much anything will be all right. Your carbon fiber frame is painted, just like aluminum and steel frames. I seldom use degrease rs, and I never have used them on a frame. I use them on running gear only. Even on running gear parts, I tend not to leave it on too long. My preference is to use odorless mineral spirits, but Simple Green is good too. Actually, IME, the best uses for Simple Green is for laundering grease spots on clothes, washing greasy rags, and washing your hands after working on the bike.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Simple Green; Spray or Foam for Frame.
Pledge for Waxing Frame.
Odorless Mineral Spirits or Witch Hazel to clean/degrease Chain.
Home Brew: 3-Parts OMS to 1-Part Pennzoil Synthetic Motor Oil.
Hope that helps.:thumbsup:

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Be careful with Simple Green at full strength in the big bottle. It' can turn the clear coat on wheels and components cloudy. As for your frame and fork mild soap and water. I spray Turtle Wax Express Shine on a rag and wipe it on my frame and wheels about once a month. It lasts longer than Pledge, especially in rain, and repels dirt and tar better

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I have used Simple Green on my frames for 15-20 years and haven't noticed any cloudiness yet. Maybe it takes a little longer to occur.
I have used Pledge and Turtle Wax, and don't think Turtle Wax lasts any longer or repels dirt and tar any better.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Your clear coat is, or should be, alyphatic polyurethane which will withstand virtually anything you want to use on it including tar remover. It's generic term in my industry is chemical resistant (within specified parameters) polyurethane and is a base coat for anti-grafitti surfaces and the finish coat of choice for aircraft hangar floors. It technically doesn't require wax and will not be affected by sun fading. However wax will, as it does on any surface, will fill microscopic scratches and add shine. Any modern car wax that doesn't contain carnauba, which yellows, should keep you smiling. Sorry, but Pledge is, for the most part, water soluble and has no resistance to a soap.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
mineral spirits...

Travis Morud said:
My main concern is the clear coat on the frame.
Mineral spirits is the best thing to use for degreasing. Apply a small amount to a rag, paper shop towel or small paint brush to apply it. I keep an old water bottle full of mineral spirits for easy dispensing of small amounts.

I use just a damp rag or a mild multisurface spray cleaner fir plain dirt, like puddle splash.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Naptha is a good alternative to regular mineral spirits. It has higher volatility/evaporation rate, leaves no residue and cleans very well. Available at paint supply shops. Naptha is also great for soaking chains clean. Boeshield recommends Naptha for removing their T-9 chain lube, for example.

For ligher cleaning of carbon frames and metal surfaces, I use high dilute Simple Green in warm water - a couple capfuls in several liters of water.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
oily666 said:
Your clear coat is, or should be, alyphatic polyurethane which will withstand virtually anything you want to use on it including tar remover. It's generic term in my industry is chemical resistant (within specified parameters) polyurethane and is a base coat for anti-grafitti surfaces and the finish coat of choice for aircraft hangar floors. It technically doesn't require wax and will not be affected by sun fading. However wax will, as it does on any surface, will fill microscopic scratches and add shine. Any modern car wax that doesn't contain carnauba, which yellows, should keep you smiling. Sorry, but Pledge is, for the most part, water soluble and has no resistance to a soap.
I agree. It's pretty difficult to damage clear coat except by physical means. I also agree that Pledge has little to no water resistance, but that's all right with me. I never use soap & water to clean my bike. If it's really dirty, I'll use a wet rag, then finish it off with Pledge. I don't care if it washes right off. I use it every time I clean. One caveat, though, you might want to keep a pretty good supply of Pledge on hand. If your significant other finds it's gone, it ain't gonna be pretty. :nonod:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for you helpful ideas. I'm getting a pair of road shoes this Saturday. I am really looking forward to riding my bike for the first time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.