Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of overhauling my Campy Croce d' Aune rear derailler. It's dissassembled as far as it can be except the linkage pin is still connected to the main body (the c clip is very small and I didn't want to risk breaking or losing it). I am able to clean (with soap and a toothbrush) all the parts very well except for inside the main body where the springs are (too small to get toothbrush in there). I can see grease and crud in there and was wondering if boiling in water would work (note it is very smooth so its not a big deal, I just want it to look clean in there). I wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner but I don't. I'm guessing there are bike specific cleaners that I could spray in there too. But....will a simple boil in water work? Or will the grease just stay there. Will this harm anything(I don't think so)? thanks!

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Ahh good ol Italian cooking!

Bring water to boil add a touch of salt and olive oil and cook for eight minutes. Season to taste with some good ..... wait a minute!

Seriously, I would get some "Purple Stuff" and spray it let it sit for a couple of minutes then run it under some hot water. Then blow it off with compressed air. Make sure you lube it up with your preferred oils and what not as it will be as dry as a bone in there.

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
Put down that double boiler

How about you just sluice it with solvent? The grease is not water soluble, and if there are any plastic parts anywhere, boiling water will not be good. It could also be hard on the lettering. If you just dunk it in odorless mineral spirits (or something like that) you should be able to get it whistle clean. Just don't forget to re-lube all the pivot points with oil, which will keep things working smoothly. The oil will, of course, attract that dirt and get you right back to where you are now, but that's the price you pay.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
I take mine al dente...

the bull said:
Bring water to boil add a touch of salt and olive oil and cook for eight minutes. Season to taste with some good ..... wait a minute!

Seriously, I would get some "Purple Stuff" and spray it let it sit for a couple of minutes then run it under some hot water. Then blow it off with compressed air. Make sure you lube it up with your preferred oils and what not as it will be as dry as a bone in there.

Don't forget to throw it against the wall to see if it's cooked enough.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
the bull said:

When Speed_Metal said, "I use a technique that is quite easy, and can be done on the fly, but it involves a highly toxic and flamable gaseous substance that has acutally been banned in 37 states. It is also frequently accompanied by a concussive blast so loud and forceful that has been known to cause temporary ear damage and on a few accounts, organ failure. So I really can't recommend this method", was he referring to his farts?

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what was I thinking?!?!

I'm gonna go get some cleaner/degreaser from a bike shop tomorrow. All I've got is windex right now...thanks for not not thrashing me too hard but feel free, I'm a good sport :p

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
"I'm gonna go get some cleaner/degreaser from a bike shop tomorrow."

You can get giant bottles of Simple Green for 8 bucks. I place the part in a Tupperware container with a Simple Green diluted solution. Clamp the lid, and shake back and forth 20x or so. Then you open a beer. Repeat.

Then shake the solution again.

You can save the solution in a big bottle and reuse it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Cleaning by boiling.... Great for guitar strings,,, not so good for derailers....

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for what it's worth here's what the Ruth Goldbergesque Croce d' Aune rear derailler looks like taken apart. I did not remove the small c clip where the linkage pin connects to the derailler body (didn't want to break/lose it). Other is a Mavic 851...

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
My things that suck list.

1.) Trying to put a Campy derailuer back together....

There that is now at the top of my list. Looks like you have 3 different size springs (of the 4 pictured), Do you remember which goes where?

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
those little springs just go on the travel limit stop screws, the screw that screws against the dropout hanger and I forget the other one right now but it will be obvious. It's really quite straightforward (I...uh...think knock on wood), the bigest problem (as with all rear deraillers I think) will be getting the pulley cage to connect to the body and have the correct amount of spring tension. But there are only two spring holes to choose from on the campy, on the mavic there were like 12 or more.

ps- I am quite glad I posted this stupid ?, otherwise who knows how long it would have been before I learned how to shape my SLR saddle to me rump LMAO!!!!

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
Mechanically challenged?

handsomerob said:
My things that suck list.

1.) Trying to put a Campy derailuer back together....
I would have to agree that if you can't remember how something came apart, and don't take steps to reinforce that memory (simple things like laying the parts down in the order they came off), then reassembling a Campy derailleur is beyond you. SOME people, however, find it no problem :)

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
a little tlc

the bull said:
Make sure you lube it up with your preferred oils and what not as it will be as dry as a bone in there.
indeed! but if that's the case, you are doing something wrong....

oh wait, nevermind. :D
i'll grow up now.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Carburetor cleaner

I used to own a Croce' equipped bike and I know difficulty in getting it clean. I used carburetor cleaner with not ill effects on the parts or finish.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
what what what?

heh... pls dont get anything from the bike shop !!

why do ppl recommend simple green and other citrus based degreasers? I HATE THEM.

(pls excuse me if im thinking of something else), but those bottled degreasers rely on either a strong acid or base to clean the item. Look at the warning label, it also eats metal !!

what a way to ruin beautiful campy !! i tried some of this stuff on my wipperman chain, and it quickly killed the gold color on it... i would shudder to think what it might do to the campy lettering.

i use.. wait for it... kerosene.... its cheap, its availiable almost everywhere, and it doesn't damage anything unless you decide to take up smoking right then and there. I love the stuff, it works great, no side-effects.

it would be perfect for this problem, throw the part into a plastic bottle or even glass jar with lid, pour some kero, close the lid and shake... drain, and repeat as necessary.. simple ppl !

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
No excuses

wankski said:
why do ppl recommend simple green and other citrus based degreasers? I HATE THEM. (pls excuse me if im thinking of something else), but those bottled degreasers rely on either a strong acid or base to clean the item. Look at the warning label, it also eats metal !!
Hmmmm. I think you are indeed thinking of something else. Citrus cleaners are basically limolene, which is a pretty innocuous oil. It is most easily thought of as "orange peel oil." My bottle of Pedros has no warning whatsovever about use with metals. That said, I find that odorless mineral spirits works great, and smells a lot less than kerosene or similar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts