Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

CX season is done, and I had a few falls, one head-over-heels down a steep sand bank. That and a few other tumbles seems to have led to some grit in my left/front shifter, an Ultegra 6800. I changed the cable and housing and it shifts better, but it's still balky clunky, seeming to reach a pressure point and then shifting as opposed to a smooth build of pressure.

Does this sound like grit in the works? Is there a way to clean it out if that's the case? I've washed it with soap and water, blasted it with CO2, squirted it with WD40 Silicone lube and am ready to take it off and run it through the wash (not really, but maybe).

Thoughts on a way forward?

Thanks.

bradley

·
Registered
21,666 Posts
Hi all,

CX season is done, and I had a few falls, one head-over-heels down a steep sand bank. That and a few other tumbles seems to have led to some grit in my left/front shifter, an Ultegra 6800. I changed the cable and housing and it shifts better, but it's still balky clunky, seeming to reach a pressure point and then shifting as opposed to a smooth build of pressure.

Does this sound like grit in the works? Is there a way to clean it out if that's the case? I've washed it with soap and water, blasted it with CO2, squirted it with WD40 Silicone lube and am ready to take it off and run it through the wash (not really, but maybe).
Standard practice is to sluice it out with WD-40 or other low viscosity lube while working through the gears. It should really be dripping as you do this. Then shoot some heavier lube in there and if that doesn't fix it, you may have a damaged shifter.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it sluiced and the grit is gone. At first, I tried with WD40 Silicon spray, but because the cable was still in, it didn't work so well. I swung by the LBS and got a new cable, took out the old one and sluiced it with degreaser, Muck Off, as the LBS folks suggested as opposed to WD40. Worked great. Shifting loads better.

·
Registered
21,666 Posts
Got it sluiced and the grit is gone. At first, I tried with WD40 Silicon spray, but because the cable was still in, it didn't work so well. I swung by the LBS and got a new cable, took out the old one and sluiced it with degreaser, Muck Off, as the LBS folks suggested as opposed to WD40. Worked great. Shifting loads better.
If you had just used WD 40 instead of the silicone (with an E) stuff it probably would have worked fine. The silicone formulation is much different than WD 40. Silicon is a dark grey shiny metal, used in computer chips.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it was more that the cable was in there when I sluiced with the WD40 silicone stuff, which is what I had handy, but the Muck Off worked great. Either way, it's good now and I know what to do next time. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts