Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode around near the water today but I had to park in the sandy lot. There is now beach sand all over the bike. Whats the best way to get it all off. I was thinking air hose but then I would probably blow it into all the bearings and probably grit up the cassettes.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Gentle spray with a garden hose. Wipe dry. Lube chain & other wiggly bits. Ride. Repeat.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
drussell said:
Gentle spray with a garden hose. Wipe dry. Lube chain & other wiggly bits. Ride. Repeat.
:thumbsup: Yup! What he said.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok did that, but I can't get it all off, it seems to binding the greasy parts onto the drivetrain parts. Will try degreasing again tomorrow but its going to take a lot to go through all the gears unless I get a chance to take it all apart. Next time I will carry the bike across the parking lot.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,446 Posts
water alone won't do it, as you've found out. you need some type of degreaser...simple green, something like that. spray it on the parts that need it, scrub them clean and rinse them off. it's not rocket science, it's a bike. no high pressure water aimed at bearings (hubs, bottom brackets, headsets). when you're done, dry it off and lube the chain. done.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I use an AirGun for frame and degreaser for the Chain and Cassette/Rings.

John

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
e34john said:
Ok did that, but I can't get it all off, it seems to binding the greasy parts onto the drivetrain parts. Will try degreasing again tomorrow but its going to take a lot to go through all the gears unless I get a chance to take it all apart. Next time I will carry the bike across the parking lot.
Use warm water in a bucket with a little bit of blue Dawn, wash everything off with a scrubbing brush, rinse, dry, lube ...and you're good to go. If you like your frame extra shiny, throw in a polishing with Lemon Pledge.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
seeborough said:
Use warm water in a bucket with a little bit of blue Dawn, wash everything off with a scrubbing brush, rinse, dry, lube ...and you're good to go. If you like your frame extra shiny, throw in a polishing with Lemon Pledge.
I like to do this but I just hose it off first. The I go at it with a large car washing sponge from the top down. The dishwashing detergent is strong enought to clean the chain and cassette. Then just dry and lube.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i use finish line bike cleaner for anything and everything. cassette, chain, frame, wheels.

i lube the chain after and alcohol pad the brake track(sp?) tract?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,446 Posts
seeborough said:
lemon pledge is the best!

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
I go with one of these guys, or some other type of pretty stiff bristle brush. Just scrub the crap out of all the crevices and whatnot, and it pretty much just flings sand right off, even if it's mixed with grease. It can also get grit out of your cassette.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
The Park brush is a great tool. If it were my bike I'd hose it off using no nozzle on the hose. With the bike on the stand I'd slowly turn the pedals while dripping Dawn dish washing or maybe Simple Green on the chain, followed up by wiping the chain with a rag while pedaling. I'd then remove both wheels, spray them down with Pledge, and wipe the hub, each spoke & the rims. I'd spray the rear cogs with Simple Green & use the brush pictured above to clean it. I'd then spray the rear cluster with WD40, wipe off the outside, then "floss" between each cog using a thin rag to get between them. I've found the easiest way to do this id to clamp the rear wheel in my bench vise by the tire. Just close the vise jaws on the tire just enough to hold the wheel.

Next step is to spray the crank, derailleurs, & brake arms with WD40 & clean them thoroughly using thin rags & Q Tips to get in all the nooks & crannies. Wipe the frame with Pledge, reinstall the wheels, lube the chain with home brew letting it dry overnight. In the morning wipe it off & you're good to go. Don't forget to lightly sand & wipe off the brake pads before riding.

If that doesn't do it, sell the bike & get another one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts