Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using spray adhesive earlier today and was spraying outside. After I got inside, I noticed that some of the overspray got blown onto my glasses.

Are ethyl alcohol or methanol okay to use to clean the spray adhesive from my lenses? Or will either of them harm the lenses or my plastic frames?

I work in a research lab so ethanol and methanol are there for me if I need them :)

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Colin Y said:
I was using spray adhesive earlier today and was spraying outside. After I got inside, I noticed that some of the overspray got blown onto my glasses.

Are ethyl alcohol or methanol okay to use to clean the spray adhesive from my lenses? Or will either of them harm the lenses or my plastic frames?

I work in a research lab so ethanol and methanol are there for me if I need them :)
I've used ethanol on my plastic lenses without any problems, but I don't know about coatings. And my frames are metal.
How about asking the optometrist? He may not know, but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Something called "De Solv it"

All natural, non-corrosive. Gets gum out of carpet and gumweed off my horses' nosies. :)

I think Cory gave good advice about seeking advice of a lens expert, though.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
A nice fine grit sand or bead blast should get everything off nicely.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved.

I used 75% ethanol eventually got all the dots off. Luckily that worked or I would have had to resort to the sandpaper.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.