Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this possible/necessary? I am not talking about whiping the device down, I am talking about cleaning up memory, etc. etc. With my laptops (not Apple) I like to degrag, run CCleaner, etc. etc. to keep them running fast. My iphone is about 2 weeks old and I am 'sensing' that it is a bit slower than when I first got it. Is there anything like 'defragging' or 'cleaning it up' possible/recommended for the iphone? I have gone into settings and cleared History, Cashe, and Cookies already.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
MCF said:
Is this possible/necessary? I am not talking about whiping the device down, I am talking about cleaning up memory, etc. etc. With my laptops (not Apple) I like to degrag, run CCleaner, etc. etc. to keep them running fast. My iphone is about 2 weeks old and I am 'sensing' that it is a bit slower than when I first got it. Is there anything like 'defragging' or 'cleaning it up' possible/recommended for the iphone? I have gone into settings and cleared History, Cashe, and Cookies already.
You could always try a restore and then reinstall the apps.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I run cleaners on my windows mobile 6.1 device regularly. Memmaid and a few others things. So it would stand to reason that the iPhone is no different. If I have 3 mb of text messages and email open I notice a lot of lag.. sometimes i need to clean out the erroneous junk.. usually every few days. BTW.. I'm using a Samsung i760.. which i really like.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
there's an app for that.

srsly, if you look in the app store there are memory mgmnt apps, etc.

but I doubt its 'slowing down' after 2 weeks unless you've dumped all kinds of stuff into it since then.

MCF said:

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
My i760 syncs 4 email accounts every 30 minutes. Each is done at the same time.. I have unlimited data and I'll download everything under 1mb.. Sometimes if I get swamped with junk my phone will just freeze. I ended up needing to offset the accounts so its not all at once.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
Be sure to fully turn off your phone at least once a week, for say like an HR or so. Apple recommends you restart the phone after downloading and installing any apps.....i m pretty guilty of not doing that. I shut the phone off Fri when I go to sleep and crank it back up sat AM, since doing this it seems my phone opens things, runs a bit faster. YRMV

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Hollywood said:
there's an app for that.

srsly, if you look in the app store there are memory mgmnt apps, etc.

but I doubt its 'slowing down' after 2 weeks unless you've dumped all kinds of stuff into it since then.
Hmm cool to know. But, have you ever 'cleaned it up'?

I've only restored it once IIRC but that was coz Safari kept screwing up.

·
720 Posts
PS: Apple is releasing new OS update(s) on March 17!!!! Speculation on what may be in this patch? Rumored to have cut/paste, multimedia SMS and iphone internet tethering.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
deastin said:
PS: Apple is releasing new OS update(s) on March 17!!!! Speculation on what may be in this patch? Rumored to have cut/paste, multimedia SMS and iphone internet tethering.
Now that would be something.

They just released an update for Safari so I assumed an iPhone software update was due soon.

What's internet tethering?

Cut/paste or better yet, copy/paste, would be something really useful. MMS would be good too since I can't usually email friends who don't have compatible phones.

·
720 Posts
uzziefly said:
Now that would be something.

They just released an update for Safari so I assumed an iPhone software update was due soon.

What's internet tethering?

Cut/paste or better yet, copy/paste, would be something really useful. MMS would be good too since I can't usually email friends who don't have compatible phones.

Uzzie, phone tethering is where you can attach your phone to a computer (laptop usually) and use the net connection thru the phone to access the web on your computer. Thus eliminating the need to have duplicate service for the computer. Mostly a business type thing, but still nice to have. Also rumored to be in the workings is the ability for the iphone to run apps in the background, such as AIM or Pandora. I dont look for that in this update. I dont really seem to miss cut paste but i ll take it. Source for info is http://topiphonenews.com/

//sorry for the thread hijack

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok...dumb question..

deastin said:
Be sure to fully turn off your phone at least once a week, for say like an HR or so. Apple recommends you restart the phone after downloading and installing any apps.....i m pretty guilty of not doing that. I shut the phone off Fri when I go to sleep and crank it back up sat AM, since doing this it seems my phone opens things, runs a bit faster. YRMV
How do you fully turn it off!?!?! Also, looking forward to update on 17Mar....but will wait a couple days before installing to see if it messes everything up. Thanks!

·
720 Posts
MCF said:
How do you fully turn it off!?!?! Also, looking forward to update on 17Mar....but will wait a couple days before installing to see if it messes everything up. Thanks!

Push and hold the "lock" button on the top of your Iphone 3g, this will bring up a red slider on the top part of the screen that will say something slide "slide to power off / down" Slide that and its totally shut off. To power it back on I believe you push and hold the lock button for a few seconds again until the Apple logo screen appears. If its not the lock button its the home button that turns it back on, I dont recall off the top of my head. Or maybe they ll both turn it back on?? Either way hope that helps! :thumbsup:

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
deastin said:
Push and hold the "lock" button on the top of your Iphone 3g, this will bring up a red slider on the top part of the screen that will say something slide "slide to power off / down" Slide that and its totally shut off. To power it back on I believe you push and hold the lock button for a few seconds again until the Apple logo screen appears. If its not the lock button its the home button that turns it back on, I dont recall off the top of my head. Or maybe they ll both turn it back on?? Either way hope that helps! :thumbsup:
It's the lock button.

And, if you wanna reset your phone, press and hold the top (lock) button and the home button at the same time till it shuts down.

Then turn it back on.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys....powering off for about an hour and turning phone back on helped. Seems much quicker again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts