Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved my Father to a retirement/assisted complex. Sold his house last week. There was some debate among the few family members how clean the house should be before the new owners moved in. I felt it need to be cleaner than everyone else. In the end it fell in my lap. Family blew me off and the hired help was a no show.
The only home I ever owned was kind of dirty when I moved in. But, have helped people move into some filthy, nicer homes.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
If I am moving into a home. I would be cleaning top to bottom and doing what painting I wanted to do before I moved my stuff in. I think routine cleaning like vacuuming, toilets, and light dusting would be enough.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
I think our current place was swept...that was about it. Took us days to clean it before moving into most of the rooms...we cleaned again when we painted each space over the following months. Most old owners dont' care - after you sign, its your problem.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Our previous house was owned by smokers. A gross amber goo ran down the windows the first time we cleaned them. My expectations are:

Free of debris
vacuumed
clean kitchen
clean bathrooms

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
With how grossly overpriced houses are today, it better be spotless when I move in.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Color me a bag-holder--we have always left the houses we moved out of clean, and have never moved into a new one that was.

For those of you who clean when you move out--I be there with you when we get our special place in heaven!

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
I've flipped houses...seen the entire spectrum of 'clean'...none were in 'ready to live in' condition.

some were relatively 'spotless,' meaning that they were devoid of contents and ready for remodeling...floors sanded, walls painted, gut the kitchen/bathrooms, etc.

but, some were sh!tholes. the worst was owned by a hoarder...never seen anything like it. the owner had a dozen dogs and cats that all defecated/urinated in the house. she would then just put layers of newspaper over their mess instead of cleaning it up. the solid oak flooring was completely composted in some areas...the stench was pretty horrid.

there was a pile of hefty trash bags in the living room that were full of every conceivable heinous substance...you don't even want to know the details.

but, we were buying these on the cheap...not paying market value.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Our current house was immaculate. Every room had fresh paint, the hardwood floors were refinished, and even the basement floor was freshly painted.

My dad was a hoarder and his house was a disaster. It had a few problems that made it technically illegal to sell. Fortunately Vancouver real estate is crazy so the first guys to look at it wanted it as soon as possible no matter what the condition.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
There was some debate among the few family members how clean the house should be before the new owners moved in... Family blew me off...
Was that because they weren't getting a portion of the sale?

I bought a condo last year. Part of the reason I bought it was because it was immaculate-cleaned, top to bottom with virtually nothing left behind. It was so clean it was frightening!

When I moved out of the apartment complex to move to the condo, I vacuumed, cleaned the bathroom, kitchen, and refrigerator, and even patched the walls, even though the apartment was scheduled for renovation upon moving out.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Best to eliminate all traces of previous human occupancy, as much as possible. You get more money for your house that way- people don't like reminders of previous occupants when shopping for homes; they like to look at the house like a blank canvas.

We were fortunate that our house was freshly painted, cleared of furniture, and the floors done when we moved in. The seller said to us during closing, "I hope you appreciate how much work went into the house," and we were like, why do you think we're buying it??

The way neighbors talk about the house, though, it was in pretty sorry shape- yard was out of control, and the original Street View showed a Dumpster in the driveway (seller was the daughter of the original owners.) Sounds like it needed a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Clean houses certainly sell better. I've been house shopping and gone and looked at a lot of houses. You walk into a place and it smells bad --- forget it.

As far as the state of the house when the new owner takes possession, every sales contract I've seen specifies "broom clean", which basically means the floors are swept. Not a high standard.

The last house I sold I left clean, but I didn't go as far as to hire a cleaning service, or wash the windows. Once you close, it's not your house anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts