Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently shaved the colored stripes on my 04 Giant TCR C2 leaving only text on the frame. I then took the frame to an auto body shop to be sprayed with clear coat. They reluctantly sprayed the frame and it looks great except for three spots:

near the bottom bracket on the drive side looks like a bug got on the frame while it was drying

on the seat tube the clear coat is a little wavy

on the bottom of the down tube there's a little clear coat run

How do I fix these problems without having to clear the frame over? Is it even worth worrying about since these imperfections will be hidden by the crank, bottle cage, and under the frame? Here's the link to the frame without clear coat https://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=128731

· Registered
10,161 Posts
lousy work...

I hope you paid them next to nothing for that botched up job. The lumpy looking area doesn't even look like the clearcoat adhered properly. Either that or somebody picked it up with a rag in their hand before the paint dried. Either way, that would be totally unacceptable to me. Both areas need to be sanded down an recoated.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Most shops in my country don't want to spray bikes because of the weird angles. I've had bad luck with rattle can clears before so I wanted to go another route. I did decide to wet sand the frame and try another shop. Oh, I did pay next to nothing, labor is pretty cheap here, it's the parts that get you.

· RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
Has anyone found a good brand of gloss clear in an exterior product? I've used a lot of deft for indoors on woodwork and it's the shizz, but it's for wood and interior only.

· Registered
84 Posts
He premeir clear coat for bodywork, outside of an autobody shop is U-Pol #1-Clear. It's as close to a spray gun finish out there. Usually find it at autobody supply store but, I'ts out there online

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.