Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy--I'm looking for film to cover my frame. It's got perfectly round tubes so it shouldn't be to hard. I want a big strip so the seam can run along the bottom of the tubes--more like a bmx top-tube pad than handlebar tape, if you get my drift.

I want something similar to the clear bra's they use on sportscars--I lock this bike up all the time and don't want it to get scratched to death. any leads much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I've been doing this to all my bikes for years now & it makes a huge difference in the reduction of paint chips & scratches. It also makes cleaning much easier as well. You can buy the 3M product but you'll be paying a premium for the name. Go with a generic clear vinyl product that comes in 2ft wide uncut sheets. Just order the length that you want.

Go to ebay motors & do a search for clear bra & you'll get lots of results. Many of these sellers also sell the kits in uncut form which is what you'll want. Application is similar to applying car window tinting.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Here is a source

Below is the source I used for 3M 'Helicopter' tape. It is sold in bulk by the foot. It's by far the most affordable source I could find.

I used the 2" standard tape on the downtube. I bought a few feet of the 6" wide to make a large patch to protect the drive side bb area of my Cervelo RS. You can make smaller patches for protecting the frame from cable rub.

http://www.xpel.com/products/bulk.asp

·
Registered
393 Posts
Around here there is an automotive body shop, and for a few bucks, they cut off a 6' x 4" piece for me. I use it for areas where cables contact, and on the frame where it rests against staples and other sorts of bike parking.

Call around, might get lucky working with body shops, they buy in bulk and for a few bucks cash, they might just cut off more than you'll need.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Forget Ebay.....just call around and ask the local shops that install Clear Bra's for a scrap piece of material. I asked for a small piece that would cover xxx amount of space. The owner said to come on by and he would find me a scrap piece. Once I got there and we started talking about what I was doing, I found out that he did local Cycling Teams bikes. He had lots of precut pieces just for bicycles. I ended up walking out of his store with enough precut pieces to do all three of my bikes and he wouldn't let me pay him. Of course, I called the local sandwich shop and had subs delievered for him and his crew. I believe in karma and it has paid off more than once...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.