Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a recommended clearance between the mallest sprocket and the frame. I have both Campagnolo & DT hubbed wheels, but the DT seem to run very close.

Any ideas? C40, DaveS?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I run 11 on my steel Pegoretti with around 1/32" of clearance. Like C40 says, as long as it doesn't touch, you're ok. Make sure the lock ring is properly torqued.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigbill said:
I run 11 on my steel Pegoretti with around 1/32" of clearance. Like C40 says, as long as it doesn't touch, you're ok. Make sure the lock ring is properly torqued.
Am I correct in understanding it to be 1/32" between the lockring & inside face of the dropout?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
ultimobici said:
Am I correct in understanding it to be 1/32" between the lockring & inside face of the dropout?
Yup, Big Leg Emma with ginormous chainstays and breezer style dropouts. I have to stretch a single layer rag tight to fit it in the gap. I have a similar gap between the chainstay and the 12 cog due to the angle of the chainstays.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use Campy 11. I have HED Adrennes wheels and had to use a Shimano spacer to allow the last cog to clear the spokes. The Shimano cassette spacer pushed the lock ring against the inside of the dropout, so I currently use (until I find a thinner casette spacer) a small thin washer on the axle to spread the droputs ever so slightly just to clear. Bike is a Tarmac SL2. No contact as far as I can tell, but its REALLY close. Not the ideal situation, but I can't find any other solution.

I wish HED would get axle/cones. etc. the correct width for Campy 11....they have NOT returned two of my calls or an email regarding this issue and a better solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts