Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at this ad and the company is selling a normally priced $3,000 bike for close to 1,000. I believe the name of the bike company is Windsor and it is a full carbon bike with Ultegra/105. I have never heard of this bike company before, but the deal is pretty amazing. Anyone know if it is worth it to try this company and risk getting a piece of junk or just play it safe and get a bike from a LBS? Thanks

· Registered
85 Posts
Is that bike really full carbon?? Look at pics

QUESTION: It's stated that the bike has a defect, which is visible in the close up of the seat post clamp area....there is a gap showing between the clamp and the bottom of the 'collar' area...(middle right pic)

https://bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/images/falkc_closeups.jpg

here is my question;
in the picture, it looks like there is METAL showing in this 'gap'....so IS this a full carbon frame??? or some sort of 'carbon wrap' deal??? Or do carbon frames usually use metal in the seat post clamp area for strength, like usingt metal in thye drop outs????

Just wonderin'

Jason

· Registered
707 Posts
Many are built this way for strength, but not all. Also the headtube needs some metal in there for the bearing seats, and the Bottom Bracket has to have a metal sleeve in it to support the screw in BB Bearings. They just did not push the seatpost clamp down all the way before taking the picture. They can still call it full carbon, as that's what every manufacturer calls similarly built frames.

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Not that great of a deal!

At $1400 (what you call "close to 1,000") it really is not that great of a deal. All the accesories (bars, saddle, etc) are "no name" stuff, cheaper brakes and the rims (Alex ACLASS R1.0) are normally speced on sub $700 bikes.

For $1700 (1900 minus the standard 10% code) you can get the Scattante CFR http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21215&subcategory_ID=3040 with full Ultegra and Shimano 560 wheels. Carbon post and stem. All the accesories are name brand and consistant with a $1500-$2000 bike.

For $1600 you can get the Tommaso Trascinare from RS Cycles http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.13179/.f?sc=7&category=53. It is 105 10 speed, Shimano 500 wheels and all name brand accesories.

In the long run both of these bikes would prove to be better deals than the Windsor. Not to mention you would be delaing with a reputable company instead of Bikesdirect.

· Registered
449 Posts
different bike

Lifelover said:
At $1400 (what you call "close to 1,000") it really is not that great of a deal. All the accesories (bars, saddle, etc) are "no name" stuff, cheaper brakes and the rims (Alex ACLASS R1.0) are normally speced on sub $700 bikes.

I think you are looking at the wrong one. The bike in question here is priced at $995 for a carbon frame with a mix of 105 and admittedly lower-value components. I know some folks have low opinions of the vendor -- I don't have any experience with them, positive or negative, but it sure looks like a good deal. I'd be interested to hear from someone who buys one

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Mayday said:
Lifelover said:

I think you are looking at the wrong one. The bike in question here is priced at $995 for a carbon frame with a mix of 105 and admittedly lower-value components. I know some folks have low opinions of the vendor -- I don't have any experience with them, positive or negative, but it sure looks like a good deal. I'd be interested to hear from someone who buys one

Maybe they are sold out? I could not find an all carbon bike for $995. The one that is linked with the close ups above is $1400.

I guess it is a deal when you consider that according to the folks a BD it is the same as a Look 585.
" Compare this full carbon fiber frameset to the LOOK (tm) line of carbon fiber frames being sold for $3,000 and UPwards and you'll find some strking similarities which are not accidental type Look 585 into Google search and you'll see what we mean..."

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Here is the correct link

http://bikesdirect.com/10dayjune/

Lifelover said:
Mayday said:
Maybe they are sold out? I could not find an all carbon bike for $995. The one that is linked with the close ups above is $1400.

I guess it is a deal when you consider that according to the folks a BD it is the same as a Look 585.
" Compare this full carbon fiber frameset to the LOOK (tm) line of carbon fiber frames being sold for $3,000 and UPwards and you'll find some strking similarities which are not accidental type Look 585 into Google search and you'll see what we mean..."
________
nice tits Cam

· Banned
476 Posts
From purchases and posts

Lifelover said:

For $1700 (1900 minus the standard 10% code) you can get the Scattante CFR http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21215&subcategory_ID=3040 with full Ultegra and Shimano 560 wheels. Carbon post and stem. All the accesories are name brand and consistant with a $1500-$2000 bike.

For $1600 you can get the Tommaso Trascinare from RS Cycles http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.13179/.f?sc=7&category=53. It is 105 10 speed, Shimano 500 wheels and all name brand accesories.

In the long run both of these bikes would prove to be better deals than the Windsor. Not to mention you would be delaing with a reputable company instead of Bikesdirect.
first - I think $1600 and $1700 are way different from $995

second - from posts I've read those Alex wheels are probably better than Shimano 500s - which have had lots of issues

last - from my own experience and from posts by actual buyers - all three of the companies are reputable online sellers - except that bikesdirect and RS cycles seem to ship much quicker than performance [who can be slow at times]

· Banned
476 Posts
i agree

Insight Driver said:
opinions are free and worth as much as they cost to give. Seems the three bikes are near to each other, with different trade-offs on each one.

these 3 bikes seem close
but there is a $600 difference in price
which at $1000 - going up to $1600 is a big jump

in time, full carbon bikes will probably drop to $1000 - but right now they all seem to be closer to $2000

· Registered
707 Posts
I did give this bike some serious consideration, but I already took a leap of faith when I bought their other carbon bike the Immortal Force when it went on sale two months ago. It has turned out to be a fantastic bike, more than I could have imagined a full Ultegra bike with a monocoque carbon frame for only $1600. This bike, while a bargain, has a frame I can't even find anything else similar too. Their reference to Look is laughable, I believe all the Look carbon frames are made at the Look factory in Tunisia. This bike is definately a Taiwan or China bike, as are all BD bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.