Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cleat Covers?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Use my Apps :)
1,010 Posts
SPD-SL cleats with their sacrificial, walkable, rubber, bumpers have alleviated any need for them.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
waldo425 said:
With my Shimano cleats I don't but with the Keo cleats I do always. They add more grip and help to protect the from wear and tear.
do the keo cleat covers offer a lot more grip than walking on the bare cleats?

· Registered
429 Posts
I have maybe 10 steps in my garage without a rug/carpet. Other than that, I don't walk in my shoes. Plus I wear Shimano cleats, so again, no.

I considered SpeedPlays until I heard about the cost of replacement cleats and the need to own cleat covers. That turned me off them completely.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i know i didn't specify in the OP, but i'm mainly concerned with LOOK Keo cleats on my Shimano carbon sole R132 shoes.

Hows the durability of Keo cleats and the ability to walk on concrete/tiles with them?

· Just Plain Bitter
8,622 Posts
Speedplay user here and I use them when I remember.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I bought cleat covers for my Keos and then my Speedplays... after a few rides it seems like wasted pocket space and they sit in accessory storage with things like tire levers. If I ever decide I need covers bad enough to waste half a pocket, I'll just switch to mtb shoes.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
looks like "No, Never" is winning by a lot. How much walking do you guys think my Look Keo cleats take before needing replacing? Think i can get a good 5 miles of walking out of them? (of course not at once)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.