Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Crank Brothers Quattro pedals and for some reason the cleat they came with won't fit the plate on the bottom of my shoes.
It is off by about 1mm...extremely close. They are MTB shoes but I have put road cleats on them before. What is wrong ?? Did I happen to get some cleats that were simply too small or are my shoes slightly large?

I dont get it.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
efenili said:
I bought some Crank Brothers Quattro pedals and for some reason the cleat they came with won't fit the plate on the bottom of my shoes.
It is off by about 1mm...extremely close. They are MTB shoes but I have put road cleats on them before. What is wrong ?? Did I happen to get some cleats that were simply too small or are my shoes slightly large?

I dont get it.

The cleats that come with quattro pedals are designed to allow some side to side adjustment so they are wider. They are also designed to use with the plastic plate on a flat bottomed road shoe. I was using my MTB shoes pretty often while I was in Europe last year and they had a standard CB cleat that worked fine with my quattros.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
I use Crank Brothers pedals, Candy C and Quattro, with both MTB and road shoes.

There are two different cleats and they won't swap shoes but they both will work with all the pedals. You must use the MTB cleats with the MTB shoes and the road cleats with road shoes.

The cleats that come with the Quattro pedals will only work with road shoes and you must use the horseshoe plastic piece that comes with it with the road shoes. If you have Quattro pedals and MTB shoes you must buy the MTB cleats for the MTB shoes and they will then work with the Quattro pedals. You don't use the plastic piece and the MTB cleats will screw into the bottom of the MTB shoes.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice.

I went out today and bought the other type of cleats from Crank brothers and they work perfectly.

You will also notice in that picture that I had to shave the inside part of my shoes in order to fit the pedal better. This also makes it easier to get in and out.

Cheers!!

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
efenili said:
You will also notice in that picture that I had to shave the inside part of my shoes in order to fit the pedal better. This also makes it easier to get in and out.

Cheers!!
I use my dremel with an abrasive wheel to grind away part of the sole. I wasn't as important for the quattros as it was for the candy pedals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.