Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,
Im having a trouble with my spdsl cleats.Specifically my left foot becomes numb and aches after 1hour or so,in the spot under the smallest toe.Imagine a circular 3cm area under it.Right foot no problems at all.
Any suggestions?
I have a trainer fyi.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Move the cleat laterally (if you can) with respect to the shoe.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Similar to the majority of cyclists (according to some fit experts), your foot tilts to the outside, so I would suggest trying a varus wedge in the left shoe foot bed.

More info here:
FAQs

Specialized has a decent rep for wedges:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shoes/parts/body-geometry-internal-wedges-2pk/104854

Just as a FYI.. Spec shoes have built in wedges.

If you do try the wedge, be aware of any subsequent fit issues (ex: knee pain).

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Speaking of Specialized shoes and varus/valgus tilt wedges, their insoles also have a metatarsal bump which is supposed to help prevent the nerve pain you are feeling.
I'd suggest trying a pair. I have the red ones, for feet with low/no arches, and they're fine.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
You may want to also move the cleat back slightly behind the ball of your foot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Move the cleat laterally (if you can) with respect to the shoe.
tried it a bit and got some mild discomfort to the knee but..

Similar to the majority of cyclists (according to some fit experts), your foot tilts to the outside, so I would suggest trying a varus wedge in the left shoe foot bed.
Maybe this is the solution.
(..)Also tried to put the cleat 3-4mm to the back somehow got things better,but i felt as if i lost some power to that leg,which was unpleasant,leading to bigger effort on the other leg as well as some very light fatigue knee pains.Maybe i need to further ease my gears a bit.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Maybe this is the solution.
(..)Also tried to put the cleat 3-4mm to the back somehow got things better,but i felt as if i lost some power to that leg,which was unpleasant,leading to bigger effort on the other leg as well as some very light fatigue knee pains.Maybe i need to further ease my gears a bit.
As the illustration I linked to earlier shows (and I explained), your outer foot tilts (or cants) down. A Varus wedge is designed to accommodate that, and realign the knee along the pedal axis.

This doesn't negate the need for your cleats to be properly set up. Or (as others pointed out) that footbeds with metatarsal buttons, stiff soles/ well designed, well fitting shoes won't help. It *all* matters.

I think the varus wedge will go a long way in getting you more comfortable on the bike, but consider a fitting that will include checking for excessive knee frontal plane motion. Probably no need for a pro fit, but (from your description) I think you do need a step up from a standard fitting.

Lastly, you're right that cadence enters into this equation in that keeping it higher (above ~80, but work towards ~90) will help to smooth your pedal stroke, help your knees and minimize pressure on your forefoot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have shimano R107.Indeed they dont have some specific insoles to support the arc/the foot in general.Its only a medium stiff shoe (carbon insert)
Easier cadences are always preferable ~85-95 but they keep my heart rate up too.

Nevertheless a proper fitting is something i havent done yet,although the reading etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts