Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new pair of road shoes and am looking for advice on how to position the look pedals on the new shoes. On my old shoes, I'd make sure the cleat and bottom was clean, outline the position with a pencil, remove the old cleats then position the new ones using the pencil outline. Now I've got new shoes but want to put the new cleats on using the old shoes as a guide. I don't want to go the lbs and pay $30 for him to do it for me so I'm hoping for some tips here. thanks

· Registered
5,358 Posts
I put the bike on a trainer, and then put one cleat on the new shoe. I try to eyeball the position to be the same as on the old shoe. Then ride the trainer, comparing both sides, until the new one is where you want it. Then do the other shoe by holding it up to the
first one and matching the cleats. Obviously this only works if you set up both shoes to be the same.

· Registered
176 Posts
well

If you get a overuse injury from improper alignment it will cost a lot more than $30. Also they look at overall fit and will tell you is somthing looks off.

When i switch shoes I measure from the heel end of the shoe to each cleat point, The heel is a more consistant point to start from compared to the toe of the shoe(toe box might be a little diff.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
b987654 said:
If you get a overuse injury from improper alignment it will cost a lot more than $30. Also they look at overall fit and will tell you is somthing looks off.

When i switch shoes I measure from the heel end of the shoe to each cleat point, The heel is a more consistant point to start from compared to the toe of the shoe(toe box might be a little diff.
I'm with you on the overuse injury thing...I'm dealing with that right now and I know that when it comes time to get new shoes...Not for a while considering I just got some...I'm going to pay the cash and the get the pro to align me...

$30 is a small price to pay considering what Physio and ART is costing me...

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I put the cleats on both shoes, but don't tighten them very much. I put my bike on a trainer, then ride for a few miles. When I stop pedalling, I don't unclip or move my feet. I call my wife, & have her mark the bottom of the shoes, outlining the cleats as much as possible. If it's possible, I also have her tighten the cleats where they are as tight as she can get them, then loosen the tension on the pedals and unclip. This will get you pretty damm close. I pay very close attention for the next week or so, while I'm riding, to how my knees and feet are feeling, and make any minor adjustments necessary. When I but new cleats, usually once per year, my shoes are already marked. I like to use a scratch awl for marking the soles. i think it's more accurate, and it never wears off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.