Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to get opinions about what the following photos of cleat wear say about my pedal stroke. These are from Speedplay Zeros after about 1500 miles. I've gotten this same wear pattern on two different sets used with different shoes. I'm not sure if this is caused my forefoot vargus or not. My conclusion from the wear pattern is my right foot is "rolling" slight outward as it pulls on the upstroke. I've got some of the Bike Fit wedges to play with. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

-Pete

P.S. For those not familiar Speedplay cleats, this is a "top down" view (as it would appear from the bottom of your foot) of the metal plate that covers the cleat spring and baseplate that attaches to the shoe sole..

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have a right Speedplay Zero plate with a worse wear pattern. I noticed that my right cleat was 2-3 mm further away from the crank arm than the left cleat. This would place the center of the pedal to the left of the center of my right foot. This seems to have caused my foot to roll somewhat which may be what has caused this wear. The new cleats have different maintenance instructions than the original documentation. The old instructions mentioned using White Lightning for lubrication while the new instructions say to use a dry-type PTFE lubricant. I was using White Lightning but now have switched to Dupont Multilube PTFE.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I use Zero pedals and BFS wedges too. I use just 1 wedge on the right. It makes a big difference. You will know if you are on the right track very quickly - add one wedge at a time and stop when it feel that foot is going up and down flat and square. Dont over-wedge!Best to experiment. Also look at your walking shoes that you have had for a few years - look at the heels. If the heels wear out more on the outside, wedge goes thick side near the cranks (most common, varus). If you wear out heels more on the inside (less common valgus) the wedge thick side goes on the outside (away from cranks). If you end up with 2-3 wedges you will need to buy some longer bolts (unless your BFS kit has some already). 1 wedge will fit with standard bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.