Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I has the NEW 08' Dura-Ace Pedals with the FIXED (No Float) Cleat. I love these pedals and the solid feel. I've NEVER had any knee problems whatsoever. I was wondering if anyone has ever angled a FIXED position cleat inward slightly, with top of triangle pointing to the big toe rather than perfectly centered? I've always be taught to drive my knee inward towards the top tube for more power on the upstroke. I wondered if this change in cleat position might help ??? Or, is it a BAD idea for your knees???

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
The other way.

I do better with fixed cleats and have always adjusted them so I'm pedaling slightly pigeon-toed. That's where I'm comfortable and remain injury-free. But for toes in, you need to angle the top of the cleat towards your little toe, not the big one. And yes, my knee comes a little closer to the top tube than it would with the cleats centered.

Not sure I understand the 'power on the upstroke' thing, unless you're talking about sprinting out of the saddle. Most riders don't make seated power from the upstroke because the energy costs are huge compared to the small gains. Unweighting the pedal is about the best most riders can manage, but hey, you may not be 'most riders.' :D

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
I have always used cleats and pedals with float but it is my understanding that you should position your cleats so that your feet fall in their natural position. The same position that your feet follow when you are walking for instance. I use the Ultegras with 6 degrees of float and point the cleat at my big toe (not at it but in that direction) The way I can tell that they are right after setting them up is while riding, I stop pedaling and make sure there is a little "movement" left in either direction. It is my understanding that locking your feet and knees in an unnatural position will possibly cause knee problems. I think someone that walks pigeontoed would need to do the opposite. Fixed cleats should be the same but maybe a little more difficult to set up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.