Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Thom H
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in the Clement PDX tires. I see some places have them in stock in the 34s but do they jig out too big for the new rules or are they available in a 32? Thanks

·
Registered
960 Posts
Are you doing UCI races? If not... the it doesn't matter. And if you are... you shouldn't be riding on clinchers anyhow :D

·
Thom H
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nats and possibly a couple races in Europe. Like to keep the options open. Some of my FMB 34s do jig out, others not. Just askin a question, not going to church. I also loan wheels to others that do ride in the UCI classes when they are in session.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know about the rule changes, they won't effect me. I picked up a pair of these tires over the weekend and they say 33.5 and 34mm on the packaging. I too was looking for a 32, it's a mud tire after all, but the shop guy didn't believe they came in any other sizes.

Although I haven't ridden them yet they look like very high quality tires and the tread pattern and tread height look perfect for muddy days. I put them next to the Rhinos and they are very similar.

·
Thom H
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What shop?

What shop did you pick those up at? I will have to mail order anyways. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unless you're on the front row of a world cup no one's going to be measuring your tires, but the pdx's just squeak under the 33mm width.

·
veldrijder
444 Posts
dlab07 said:
Unless you're on the front row of a world cup no one's going to be measuring your tires, but the pdx's just squeak under the 33mm width.
It'll be like doping control - top 3 + randoms at any UCI elite race. If this applies to you, you are not going to risk being stripped of a win when they find out your tires are illegal.

·
Thom H
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know about that. I have had guys try and rip my tires off the rim, made me tape over mfg labels, change jerseys, change into white socks, Jr. roll outs, Check the the mfg sticker in my helmet was in there. I have very low expectations of some of the officials tolerance for deviations in "the rules". I was thinking a sharpie was all I needed, but not so sure any more. That is why I asked.

·
Registered
840 Posts
USA Cycling adopted all of the rule changes for 2010 except for tire rule. The only races in the US you could get pinched in are UCI events and the National Championship races (only the categories they give away a jersey in). If you are racing a UCI event in a UCI category in the US this year, expect to have them checked. If you are racing at Nationals in any of the Masters, Juniors, Espoirs, Collegiates, or Juniors categories, expect to have them checked. If you are racing in any other country in the world whose federation adopts the UCI rules, expect to have them checked. If you are racing any other category/event in the US this season, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I got them at Boulder Cycle Sport. I'm pretty sure they won't mail order, but you could give them a call to make sure. Apparently they had a CX clinic recently and a Clement rep gave everybody a free set of these tires, but they still had a bunch left on Sunday.

I think Thom's question is a legitimate concern and something I hadn't thought about. For example, in Colorado we have four UCI events this year which also happen to be a part of our local race points series, The Colorado Cup. I imagine some local masters, open, U23, and those that upgrade prior to the UCI races may be stuck with a quiver of 34mm tires. 34mm seems to be a popular size with our bumpy-rocky courses.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Todd_H said:
I think Thom's question is a legitimate concern and something I hadn't thought about. For example, in Colorado we have four UCI events this year which also happen to be a part of our local race points series, The Colorado Cup. I imagine some local masters, open, U23, and those that upgrade prior to the UCI races may be stuck with a quiver of 34mm tires. 34mm seems to be a popular size with our bumpy-rocky courses.
I totally agree. The dumbest thing about the tire rule is the UCI made an argument that it was a way to reduce the cost of racing because riders at the top level would need fewer tires and wheelsets since there is effectively one less casing size now. The asinine part is it effectively turns a portion of a rider's tire investment into trash, which then need to be replaced. So where's the savings? Just stupid.

·
Registered
434 Posts
zank said:
I totally agree. The dumbest thing about the tire rule is the UCI made an argument that it was a way to reduce the cost of racing because riders at the top level would need fewer tires and wheelsets since there is effectively one less casing size now. The asinine part is it effectively turns a portion of a rider's tire investment into trash, which then need to be replaced. So where's the savings? Just stupid.
I completely agree, have had the same thought. If they want to save people money, let them 'run what they brung' and don't worry about it.

I actually read it had to do with the Euro Jrs feeling that they needed as many wheel options as Sven Nys if they were racing the big races. But who knows. Not seeing the logic at all with this one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
zank said:

Maybe the UCI should quit making up rules.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts