Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of year. Time to start thinking about gluing up some new tires for the season. The sidewalls on my Limus's are shot. I need new mud tires. I was thinking of replacing them with the PDX. I've been running clement MXP's and there just so much more durable. Then I saw the new BOS. They look interesting. Maybe a little less squirrely in fast harder corners. Decisions!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I was really really interested in the new MXP Tubeless Ready tires....until I saw the weight.... apparently they're ~470g each.... thats at least 80g/tire more than a Schwalbe X-One :S

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was really really interested in the new MXP Tubeless Ready tires....until I saw the weight.... apparently they're ~470g each.... thats at least 80g/tire more than a Schwalbe X-One :S
Where did you see the weight listed for the MXP Tubeless? I saw somewhere that the PDX tubeless was 350 grams (Competitive Cyclist) but that doesn't seem right does it? That would be as light as their regular clincher (non-tubeless) version.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Where did you see the weight listed for the MXP Tubeless? I saw somewhere that the PDX tubeless was 350 grams (Competitive Cyclist) but that doesn't seem right does it? That would be as light as their regular clincher (non-tubeless) version.
I saw it on Art's cyclery: Clement MXP Clincher Cyclocross Tubeless Tire 700x33

"Actual weight: 468 grams" - Seems really heavy...unless they meant 368g and just made a typo?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Got my X-Ones today... mine weigh in at 391g and 400g, respectively! ... Hope to mount them tonight or tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
X ones on my Bontrager Affinity wheels at 40psi measure 33.3 set up tubeless. I haven't tried any low pressure or cornering tests yet, but the held air well and roll well on mix of road and gravel.
Let us know the width of those after mounting them up and also how they corner and roll. Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The BOS is a weird tire. LOTS of big rubber knobs which explains the weight but why would you run this over a PDX?
I'm think the BOS would be a good rear tire in the slippery mud for forward traction. Think of those times when you've been going up a muddy hill and you lose traction and spin out...this is where I see the BOS being a good tire. I still think the PDX would be a better front tire.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Let us know the width of those after mounting them up and also how they corner and roll. Thanks.
I don't have a caliper but they look to be pretty close to 33mm with a ruler....I'll check with a caliper next chance I get!

Did a first ride on them last night. Decided to do a first test at 28psi (I'm around 168lbs), with plans to drop psi a little each ride to see where they're best....next ride I'll try 25psi.

So far the tires feel great. I did a good mix of packed dirt trails, loam singletrack with wet roots, and both dry and wet grass. Its almost impossible to simulate how hard you push tires during a real CX race where you're fighting for position in every turn, but I tried my best by throwing the bike into some high-speed hairpin turns around trees and whatnot on grass.

Also hit some roots and sharp grass/pavement transitions to try to get the tires to burp. So far they've been flawless.... although that may change when I drop the psi.

Not sure I'll go much lower than 23-25psi, just because at my weight I start bottoming out the rims at anything lower than that.... its never slowed me down much as I compete at a pretty high level... unless you're riding in extreme mud I've never really understood those that run their tires in the mid-teens....but maybe thats just because I'm too heavy.

I'm looking forward to testing these tires in our cross season that starts in about a month!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts