Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that some of the riders are sponsored by Coca Cola and when they are on camera they will get a Coke out and drink it while riding. Does anybody else find it disturbing that such an un-healthy drink has infiltrated a healthy sport like cycling? Will McDonalds soon be passing out Big Mac value meals in the feed zones? :mad:

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
FondriestFan said:
When I think of unhealthy products infiltrating cycling, Coca Cola's not exactly at the top of my list.
LOL++

OP, what makes you say that they are sponsored by Coke? Why would you say that Coke is unhealthy for an endurance athlete? - TF

·
Registered
177 Posts
Flat Coke has been a long-time energy drink in the European ranks. It's a good shot of energy between the caffeine and natural sugar, not the high fructose corn syrup we see in the States. Not as bad as you might think.

·
Registered
224 Posts
kupe said:
Flat Coke has been a long-time energy drink in the European ranks. It's a good shot of energy between the caffeine and natural sugar, not the high fructose corn syrup we see in the States. Not as bad as you might think.

you can get kosher coke in the states, it's made with sugar cane, tastes better and is better for you... have to wait for the jewish holidays to get it though...

G

·
ajoc_prez said:
I noticed that some of the riders are sponsored by Coca Cola and when they are on camera they will get a Coke out and drink it while riding. Does anybody else find it disturbing that such an un-healthy drink has infiltrated a healthy sport like cycling? Will McDonalds soon be passing out Big Mac value meals in the feed zones? :mad:
The riders are not sponsored by Coke.

Coca-Cola has been a long time sponsor of the TdF. Coke has long been handed out by neutral m/cycles to any of the riders that want it.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
This has been going on since coke was invented.

Also in case you don't know, the purpose of professional sports is to sell products, that is how the players/riders make money. Do you really think that riders like dressing up in neon spandex with logos all over them?

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
ajoc_prez said:
When you're bonked out of your mind, nothing beats an ice cold Coke! The riders have been drinking Cokes for a long time, and a lot of them get Cokes in their musettes.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
kupe said:
What's wrong with HFCS? Recent studies have suggested that a 1:1 ratio of glucose:fructose is the best way to get sugar into the blood stream. The most common grade of HFCS= 1:1 glucose:fructose. "natural sugar"?? Pop-nutrition. - TF

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
brianmcg said:
This has been going on since coke was invented.

Also in case you don't know, the purpose of professional sports is to sell products, that is how the players/riders make money. Do you really think that riders like dressing up in neon spandex with logos all over them?
Correct. Pro cycling is basically NASCAR on 2 wheels.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Run1stBike2nd said:
That's funny! :thumbsup:

Outside of the USA, Coke and its other line extensions and brands (Diet Coke, Sprite, etc.) dominate PepsiCo in the soft drink market.
Tell that to David Beckham, Frank Lampard and KFC.

·
Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
What's wrong with HFCS? Recent studies have suggested that a 1:1 ratio of glucose:fructose is the best way to get sugar into the blood stream. The most common grade of HFCS= 1:1 glucose:fructose. "natural sugar"?? Pop-nutrition. - TF
The problem with HFCS is it doesn't taste as good as real sugar. Mmmmmmm, Canadian Coke.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Run1stBike2nd said:
When you're bonked out of your mind, nothing beats an ice cold Coke! The riders have been drinking Cokes for a long time, and a lot of them get Cokes in their musettes.
+1E10..

When I'm tired or near bonking on a tough ride a flat coke is heaven. The sugar and caffeine help give you a boost, and it helps settle your stomach. I learned it years ago. I'll often mix coke & water 50/50 when I stop on a long ride.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
funktekk said:
Coke is my drink of choice whenever one of my group rides stops at a gas station.
Today after our group ride one of my teammates and I stopped at a gas station, I bought a powerade and he bought a coke. Coke packs a lot of carbs and helps with recovery.

Heck, didn't Chris Horner eat a quarter pounder with cheese right before the start of a race?

·
Registered
315 Posts
ajoc_prez said:
i'm sure there are quarter pounders in this team's musette... yet when they ride in france they're called "royale with cheese"...
http://www.amoreevita.com/squdraframe.htm

nothing beats a flat cold coke after a warm ride in sydney. oh, and a piece of vegan slice from the centennial park cafe...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.