Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to notice a weird clicking noise coming from my drivetrain. This clicking only happens when I'm in my larger gears of the cassette. Top 4 maybe? When I'm spinning along at fast speeds in higher gears there are no noises.

My chain isn't stretched.. My bottom bracket is newly greased and torqued.. my chain rings and pedals are tight.

The teeth of the cassette aren't hooked or showing significant signs of wear..

I don't get it.. Could it be an alignment issue? My shifting is decent.. so I'm confused..

Just looking for ideas.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Is it once click per pedal cycle? often when there is clicking at one end of cassette, it is the chain or pedal hitting something-FD usually.

b21

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Time for a little tweak of the barrel adjuster? IME, sometimes that chattering only happens in only a few gears. I can't explain why though.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not the FD... Tested that as well.. The click seems to be once per revolution of the cranks but I'm not sure. I'll have to double check.

Might be time to get out my park hanger alignment tool..

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
Not the FD... Tested that as well.. The click seems to be once per revolution of the cranks but I'm not sure. I'll have to double check.

Might be time to get out my park hanger alignment tool..
Just to make me happy, remove, clean and re-install your seat post. It could be a waste of time, but maybe not.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm.. I don't think that'll be the case but I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
b-screw adjustment?

Have you changed to a new cassette size or front chainring size? i.e. switched to a compact crankset? If so, chain tension may have been affected and you may need to remove a link or two to take up extra slack.

It may be that the derailleur pulleys are getting in too close to the cassette teeth.. Have a look at the b-tension screw adjustment - that little screw that sits just below the frame mounting bolt and comes to rest on the small cutout of the frame. The teeth of the pulleys should not come in contact with the cassette teeth, but should be fairly close in order to have sufficient chain wrap. Turning this screw counterclockwise will move the teeth closer (more chain wrap). You need to make a few turns and then turn the pedals a few times to see any effect; it is not a very sensitive adjustment so feel free to make 2 or 3 turns. Check in both the high and low gears on the cassette, while in the small chainring. I think Park Tools have a description of the process on their site.

Finally, it could be that some dirt has entered the space between the spacer rings in the cassette and put the last few cogs out of place. Have you removed the cassette recently? It may be also that the cassette isn't tightened properly. It should not be hugely tight, but for some reason, cassettes do come loose now and then and create rattling and clicking noises, which appear only on some gears.

Hope this helps..

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to pick up a campy cassette tool.. I'll check that stuff asap. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
44 Posts
B-tension screw

I was assuming Shimano - same principle for Campy though... the b-screw is that little Phillips set-screw just at the base of the place where the pulley cage mounts onto the derailleur body shaft. Use a slot screwdriver; for some reason Phillips drivers always slip on these adjustment screws and mess them up.

I'm also assuming that you're using a proper width chain? i.e. Ultra Narrow if it's a 10 speed drivetrain, etc..

If all else fails, put another cassette on to see if there is some fault with it.. Changing out parts one by one may be a bit tedious, but it could isolate the problem.

Good luck.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The chain isn't campy but it's compatible. I already have over 2000 miles on it with almost no wear. I bought 2 of these chain after recommendations from these forums.

Becky... Damn I'll feel pretty effing stupid if you're right about the cable. I'm checking that immediately when I get home. haha

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try chain swap

It can very likely be that the chain you're using has just worn enough to cause this, even while being within spec. If you have another chain that you can pop into its place (quick link would make this really easy), just to see if the problem still exists, then you can rule out this rather obvious source.

Remember that cassettes and chains wear in unison, so if you've recently swapped one or the other, then they may not be happy mates.. Once you have your Campy BB tool, you can try another cassette (even with this chain) to see if that's the source.

Don't you just hate this crap? Makes you want to spring the 2 grand on the new Campy 11 speed...

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No.. 11 gears is too much for me..

I'm actually interested in the SRAM Force groupo.. but I would rather save my money for now and blow a bunch on a new bike instead. I want a Cervelo R3.. full SRAM Force and decent wheels..

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Considering right now I could get new Mavic Ksyrium SL Premium wheels, and the full Force Groupo for $2200.. Just seems like a better deal..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah; I know the SRAM stuff is pretty good, but I'm a dedicated Campy guy. There is nothing even close and the new version is spectacular. I don't need 11 gear either, but this is a 'keep up with the Joneses' world. If I only had 3 or 4 bikes, I'd certainly make the conversion. With all my bikes, I simply can't afford to get into the change, so I'll stick with Record 10 for now..

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I had a similar clicking or ticking sound that was roughly in time with crank revs. I looked, looked, then looked some more. Found nothing. Finally, weeks later, I was leaving a parking lot at the start of a group ride, and I found it. As I started off, I looked down & back to see what gear I was in, and the cranks were positioned just right for me to see the inside heel of my right foot brush the center of the crank. It wasn't hitting enough for me to feel it, but the plastic piece on the shoe made the noise.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I did 'em all with Super Record at retail price, the bill would be about $35,000.00 Yikes!

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I rode today after checking the shifter cable to the FD.. along with the seat post.. cleats.. pedal/crank interface.. and I cleaned the chain. Still clicked.. So I just pulled my crank set off.. reoriented them to a different axis and re-cleaned and installed them. I then put the chain on in the reverse direction.. see if that helps... My cassette tool won't be here till tomorrow or Monday.. so we shall see where this all takes me..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.