Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got caught in the rain so when I got home, I took my chain off (SRAM with gold Powerlink) and cleaned it to the point where it was all shiny again. After lubing it with White Lightning and letting it absorb, I took my bike out for a ride (next day). I noticed that when I was shifting through the gears (9 sp. 12-25 cassette) that on the larger cogs (20 & up), I feel something grinding or a soft clicking noise while pedaling. It doesn't happen when I'm in a lower cog, just the higher cogs. Is it possible that I re-attached the chain the opposite way due to not paying attention to which side I took the Powerlink off of? Or could this be a sign of chain wear?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a similiar problem, but mine is mostly in the big ring in gear 16t - 12t. It's kinda a grind, crunch feeling that slightly interrupts my pedaling cadance. I have torn apart, cleaned, lubed, torqued all drivetrain parts. Next is replacing parts - where to start?

·
POGUE MAHONE
1,111 Posts
get rid of the White Lightening .
It could just be the chain after replacing an old chain with a new one a little grinding sound or feeling is not uncommon until the new chain gets seated on the rings. reversing the chain may have had the same effect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.