Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few rides I heard a clicking noise every time I pedaled. It was not coming from the pedals (I know that noise) but seemed to be coming from the cranks or bottom bracket. If I coasted there was no clicking. I brought the bike to my LBS where I bought it 6 months ago. The mechanic asked me if I swapped out the wheels recently. I said yes, actually, I did, but I "knew" that couldn't be the problem, since the clicking only occurred when I pedaled. If there was a problem with the wheels, I'd hear it even when coasting, right? He took the bike out to the parking lot, rode it for a bit, and returned a minute later, saying he had fixed the problem, and yes, it was the front wheel. The wheel had not been installed properly and the skewer was a bit loose. The clicking occurred when I applied torque, which explains the pedaling vs. coasting issue. I was embarrassed but he was cool about it and said he sees this about once a week. (He didn't charge me, though I did buy an overpriced can of degreaser on the way out.) Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I thought someone could benefit from this story. And before you say it, yes, after 5 years of cycling I should know how to install a wheel!

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Funny you brought this up. One of the guy who shows up on my Tuesday ride have the same clicking noise. I thought him to tighten the cranks since it's annoying for me to hear it more than 1 ride and he still hasn't done anything about it. arrrgh.

·
Pitts Pilot
430 Posts
This, or a close variant, has happened to me several times. I've since sworn off committing with any certainty as to where those little noises come from. They can come from almost anywhere, and bicycles are really good at letting noises vibrate all the way through them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I I have to revise my post. I just took the bike out for a test ride and the clicking was back. I swapped the wheels, thinking this might solve the problem, but no, the clicking was still there. Then I went back to my original theory (actually, the one that my friend had suggested) -- loose cranks. I took out a 10 mm hex wrench and sure enough, there was a little give when I went to tighten the cranks. Not a lot -- maybe a couple of mm of turn. But I tightened it, went out for another test spin, and the clicking was gone. For now...

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I was embarrassed but he was cool about it and said he sees this about once a week. (He didn't charge me, though I did buy an overpriced can of degreaser on the way out.)
Stopping creaks and clicks on a bike is almost like finding a cure for tinnitus. It's priceless! I would have bought 2 cans of overpriced degreaser!

·
I love to climb!
2,052 Posts
I was having clicking noises coming from my rear wheel. I had some spokes that were damaged when a derailleur snapped and ended up in them, so I thought the noise was coming from spokes rubbing together at the crossings. (I had trued the wheel and it had seemed fine for quite a while even with the slightly damaged spokes) Or maybe the bearings were worn - wheel is four years old, after all. So I started with the easiest solution - checking the hubs. Bearings still felt pretty smooth, but they were a little loose, so I tightened them to proper adjustment. Thought that may fix it; nope, nose still there. Ok, on to option B - replacing the damaged spokes. I decided I'd just replace all the spokes while I was at it, since there were several that were damaged. As I'm replacing spokes, I finally come upon the rear culprit that a closer initial examination would have found -- two spoke holes had cracks around them. So on to option C, unfortunately: new wheels.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had a clicking noise that came and went. For awhile it didn't bother me enough to fix then it started annoying the heck out me. Would only happen when I pedaled and not all the time. Check the cranks, wheels, pedals, brakes, derailleurs, etc. on the repair stand and I couldn't find the noise. Took awhile but I finally found the culprit. It was the cable tip of the front derailleur, when I pedaled (speedplay) with my shoe clipped in and the heal inward the shoe would hit the cable tip. When I was pedaling with my heal outward it missed the cable tip. Obviously bending the cable tip inward resolved the clicking noise.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
My most embarrising inability to properly diagnose a noise:
I can't really describe the actual sound but the funny thing is it would always happen about 20 miles into a ride and only when standing swinging the bike from side to side. Drove me crazy and I was totally confused as to how it could predictibly start about 20miles in then go away about 10 miles later.

Turns out that when I drank my front water bottle down to a certain level and pedaled out of the saddle the water would make a sound when it went from side to side. Yeah, I'm not the sharpest knife on the tree.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
One of the hardest noises I ever diagnosed was really odd. Only happened when I pedaled, and was very inconsistent. Some days it did, others it was quiet. I checked EVERYTHING (literally) on the bike. Then shortly after starting out on a ride on a very hot summer morning I heard the ticking sound again. It just so happened that it was making the sound as I unzipped my jersey a few inches. When I grabbed the zipper pull, the noise stopped. Yup, zipper pull on my jersey banging around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.