Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read numerous reviews about noise/clicking problems with Mavic Open Pro's, which is puzzling given generally high marks in this forum. Anyone experiencing this?
I am buying my first set of wheels, and Performance has OP's with Ultegra, $200 for the set -sounds good to me, was wondering about others experience with these wheels and buying wheels made up by Performance. I weigh 183 lbs, want all purpose wheels for centuries, possible first CAT 5 race, Mount Washinton Hill climb, etc.
Any advice would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Try this route.

If you look on Ebay, you can usually find a used set with low miles with DA hubs for less. I know a guy who pratically gave away a set of OP with DA with less than 1K miles when he switched to Campy. The wheels were awesome and light, where as those probably have brass nips and 14 guage spokes 3 cross all around. Plus with Perf. having stores in alot of states you may have to pay sales tax.

Just a thought.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,259 Posts
My rear Open Pro suffers from a double case of Mavic Click. I've discovered, however, that it only happens when I pump up my tires past about 110 psi or so. Therefore, I found the cure is to run low pressure tires like Michelin Pro Races instead of higher pressure tires like Vredesteins or Specialized S Works models. Agreed, it'd be better if the damn thing didn't click in the first place. And yes, if you explore this website you'll come up with various cures for the disease. But for a quick cure, try a dose of Michelins. It doesn't hurt that I've found the Michelins to be excellent tires. Grippy, reliable, soft riding and round.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
click, click, click...

I now use my OP's for a second set of wheels. They are about 7 years old, never had to be trued. Great wheels - it's just that the blue rims don't match my current frame. Oh yeah...my weight over the time period has been from 180 to 202lbs....now down to 189 and dropping......

I would cure my click on a temporary basis by putting a drop of lube on each nipple and where the spoke hooks onto the hub. click gone...for a while.....

·
Registered
376 Posts
I use the same cure as PaulCL

These are rock solid wheels, but the little insert they use during the joining/welding/whatever they do process to joing the ends of the rim together eventually comes loose. I found that a little Tri-Flow or Homebrew around the spoke nipples near the rim joint will knock it out...for a month or two. Plenty of other ideas out there including linseed oil, etc.

Beyond the click, these are rock solid and reliable (when built right). I would not rate the Performance built wheels as a high end wheel build. I have a set of 105/OPs built by Performance, and a set of DuraAce/OPs built by Excel, and the difference in tension, quality, etc. is very noticable. These days I have opted to go with other rims, like the Velocity Aerohead, which I like better (and no click), but still have the Open Pros and other than the click they are solid, reliable, and built for the long haul.

Just make sure you buy from a good builder. It is more than worth a few extra $ in the long run.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
PaulCL said:
I would cure my click on a temporary basis by putting a drop of lube on each nipple and where the spoke hooks onto the hub. click gone...for a while.....
Same solution here. And after any wet ride, or after a good washing I need to re-apply the lube or the "click" is back!. Damn good rims otherwise. Reasonably light, and durable as all get out.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I've got a set of Open Pros with Chorus hubs. I've heard about the clicking, but I've never experienced it. My wheels have about 10,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your help. I appreciate it. I have 6 years on the low-end Mavics that came with the bike (Specialized Comp Allez, Ultegra). Need new hubs, so I figured I might replace the wheels as well. Still trying to decide if it is worth it - will I notice a real difference, can I get 2 more years out of these, etc.
Would anyone have other recommendations in this price range?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the SUP Open Pro's and also have a clicking problem. My problem may be a little different then what the normal is. I have found that some of my eyelets are cracked or completely busted off. So, the suggestion about lubing the nipples makes sense. I feel that my noise is from the eyelets.

They still ride great.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've debated the same issue for almost a week. Right now I'm thinking of going with Velocity Aeroheads instead of Mavics. I know $200 might not seem like a lot, but 200 is still 200. For $200 bucks, I sure don't want to hear "click, click, click..." and I sure don't want to spend my time doing Mickey Mouse stuff to cover Mavic's error. I might as well bite the bullet, pay a little more, then to worry about "click,click,click." My 2 cents. Good Luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I bought some Record/OP wheels from Performance in 2004.
The front wheel does click, but otherwise they've been great, they came perfectly straight and nicely tensioned, both I and my ex-pro mechanic friend were very impressed by the build quality. I've put over 3,000 KM on them including hitting a pothole hard enough to flat the front tire and dent the rim and they're still straight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts