Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Bike: 08 CAAD9 105 drivetrain with ultegra RD. KeO sprint pedals....
Anyway i have this clicking noise that seems to keep coming back. Its from the crank/bottom bracket/pedal area on the right side i think. It only occurs when my right side pedal stroke goes down from vertical to horizontal (hope this makes sense). So I think that means its probaly a crank/BB issue. Ive had my mechanic buddy look at it, we tightened and re-lubed everything we could think of. Its a 105 BB.
Thats all i've got, just wanted to throw this out in case anyone has any ideas/advice. The click only happens when I am pedaling hard. After the most recent removal of the cranks and bottom bracket and relub tightening it went away for most of a 2 hour ride then came back a few times toward the end when I was hammering it up hill....its maddening

thanks guys, appreciate it

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I had a similar issue, thought it was the BB possibly myself, as it happened at the same crank position. Turns out it was actually the pedal bearing, so check that out first. From your post, I think you're having the same issue.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Some possible ideas with clicks

1. loose chainring bolts
2. front derailleur cable end hitting crankarm on every revolution
3. Saddle/seatpost interface- does it only click when standing up?
4. Stem/bar interface....

Just an FYI, most noises sound like they are coming from the BB/crank area.....very few originate there

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Search it out

atrack24 said:
Hi

Bike: 08 CAAD9 105 drivetrain with ultegra RD. KeO sprint pedals....
Anyway i have this clicking noise that seems to keep coming back. Its from the crank/bottom bracket/pedal area on the right side i think. It only occurs when my right side pedal stroke goes down from vertical to horizontal (hope this makes sense). So I think that means its probaly a crank/BB issue. Ive had my mechanic buddy look at it, we tightened and re-lubed everything we could think of. Its a 105 BB.
Thats all i've got, just wanted to throw this out in case anyone has any ideas/advice. The click only happens when I am pedaling hard. After the most recent removal of the cranks and bottom bracket and relub tightening it went away for most of a 2 hour ride then came back a few times toward the end when I was hammering it up hill....its maddening

thanks guys, appreciate it
Do a search on clicks, creaks, noises, etc. and you'll find this subject discussed at GREAT length.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a CAAD8 and have no less than 3 distinct clicks that have been fixed or in the process of being fixed right now.
1st click is due to the headset bearings becoming corrupt from an accumulation of contaminant.
2nd click was in the crank and was due to the M27 QR nut washer SPLITTING IN HALF.... since the crack was barely noticeable it took quite some time to figure out exactly where it was coming from.
3rd click was recently remedied - I had contamination it the stem where it connects to the handlebar.

At no time did the noise compromise the bikes ability to be ridden - but it was SOOOO annoying.

j

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I might have gotten it taken care of yesterday after my ride. Not exactuly sure what it was becuase we did a few things but it seems to be gone. If it comes back I'll do a ride with another wheel and pedals to see if its that:thumbsup:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have the same deal going on...

Peanya said:
I had a similar issue, thought it was the BB possibly myself, as it happened at the same crank position. Turns out it was actually the pedal bearing, so check that out first. From your post, I think you're having the same issue.
...with a right Look CX-6 pedal. I thought it was the BB, LBS checked it and it's fine. I'm betting it's the pedal bearing; aren't Look pedals bearings sealed? Maybe it just needs to be adjusted?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Check your cleats. I've had clicking noises from day one with my one year old bike. I stopped today for some reason and checked my cleats, the screws had worked loose. Seat posts, clamps, saddles, rails can click, along with a zillion of other things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.