Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am having trouble diagnosing a clicking noise that appears to be coming from my crankset.

Basically when I am putting medium pressure on the pedals I will get a click when my right pedal is around 3 o clock.

If I mash on the left with my right foot off I will not get this click. I cannot replicate the sound with the bike in a repair stand, I don't think I can apply as much pressure.

If I am casually pedaling I will not generate any noise but once I start an uphill or hop on it a little it will sure enough return.

It is a BMC Team Machine with SRAM Force on it, any thoughts or suggestions would help.

Thanks

· eRacer
2,547 Posts
I just went through the same thing.
Noises drive me crazy.
The ones that are hard to diagnose are those that only happen when applying hard pedal pressure.
My noise was 'low'. (below the Top Tube ~ Drive Train)
I checked Bolts, and Chainring, pulled BB,greased and reinstalled, cranks and pedals are greased and tight. Finally, I tried to duplicate pedaling by grasping rear wheel while trying to push crank in my stand.
To my surprise, I had a single chain link that caught/clicked on my rear cog. I replaced the link and lubed chain and noise is gone.
I wish you good luck. A 'low' noise pedaling is usually from BB, Crank Arms, Chainring Bolts, or Chain. Attack one thing at a time.

GOOD LUCK.....John

· Registered
21,868 Posts
Standard advice

PFriscia said:
Hi all,

I am having trouble diagnosing a clicking noise that appears to be coming from my crankset.

Basically when I am putting medium pressure on the pedals I will get a click when my right pedal is around 3 o clock.

If I mash on the left with my right foot off I will not get this click. I cannot replicate the sound with the bike in a repair stand, I don't think I can apply as much pressure.

If I am casually pedaling I will not generate any noise but once I start an uphill or hop on it a little it will sure enough return.

It is a BMC Team Machine with SRAM Force on it, any thoughts or suggestions would help.
It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank, loose bottle cage bolts, or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't.

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, all metal to metal contact surfaces, and torque to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), a stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain, the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface), cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals, seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, grease/tighten QRs and where the hub axle contacts the frame, tighten cassette lock ring, grease cassette hub body and cassette spacers, grease steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.).

· Registered
1,710 Posts
I had a click exactly as you describe. It turned out that it was a pedal. Try the easiest thing first. If you can, swap out a set of pedals. My problem was fixed by simply tightening the pedal, I removed it, greased the threads and put it back on.
I know I could have sworn it was the bottom bracket at first.
And even if you "think" you isolated it to one side of the bike, test the other side. those clicks can be tricky. (Oh, make sure it's not a creak in the handle bars too)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.