Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Destroyer of Motorcycles
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something on my bicycle has been clicking, sounding like a sharp clicking...almost like a suspension creak from an old truck. It was most noticeable when putting power down. It seemed like it was originating ivo the crank. I had recently changed pedals also.

I went through the usual suspects: chainring bolts, FD mounting, pedals (removed and re-installed) and also inspected the front end. Nothing was loose. The bike is nearly new with about 1000 miles on it.

I was unable to tell whether the sound was there when coasting/not pedalling as the drivetrain clicking masked the sound. I was just about the get into the BB but decided to take it for one more quick ride.

As I pulled off, I lost my balance a bit and pulled hard on the bars and I heard the sound!

Turns out the sound was coming from the bars, 2 of the 4 bolts were torqued incorrectly (one was loose). It was noticeable when putting power down because I was pulling on the bars when spinning hard. I loosened all 4, retorqued then and the sound went away.

I'm glad I found it before I pulled the BB!

Lesson Learned: Check ALL bolts for tightness/proper torque when chasing down a random sound. Start with the easy stuff.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Good reminder. I'm going to check my stem when I get home tonight. I noticed a click last time I rode...thought it was the BB. It's only when I'm standing up. I did change stems recently...maybe that's the culprit!

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Very interesting info! I also sometimes hear clicking when putting down power, but not always. I too am riding a brand new bike with about 1,000 miles on it now. I don't have a torque wrench but maybe I'll swing by the LBS on a ride and see if I can borrow theirs and double-check the tightness on the handlebar.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
seemana said:
Good reminder. I'm going to check my stem when I get home tonight. I noticed a click last time I rode...thought it was the BB. It's only when I'm standing up. I did change stems recently...maybe that's the culprit!
to repost from my mtbr alter ego.

Got a leak, call a plumber. Got a creak, call a plumber!

So, you have this creak in your BB and cant seem to get rid of it. You tried greasing the BB and everything related. You have eliminated everything else as a cause too.

Then you buddy comes over who is a plumber. He just rides a downhill bike on the lifts during the summer. He asks what you are doing with your BB all out an such. You ramble about your mystery "creak"

He just goes to his truck gets two things and hands them two you...........

1) Plumbers thread compound with teflon
2) Teflon plumbers tape (the white common stuff)

He tells you to put a little compound on the thread of the bb and force it into all of them.

He then tells you to wrap the teflon tape around the bb thread. (going the correct direction for each side)

He then tells you to put more compound on the threads and between all the spacers.

He then says "Assemble normally"

That stupid creak was GONE. 20 rides later, still gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts