Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I notice that when I stand my lower bracket makes a funny ticking noise. What doesit sound like? (tick, tick, tick, tick, tick,ect). I asked my LBS about it (no he did not actually see the bike) and the guys thinks that my creank bearings may need a cleaning? The bike has only seen one season and I am pretty good in cleaning it after every ride. Could I really have something wrong with my crank already. It's a 105 and only has one season on it....

·
Registered
620 Posts
It could be a million different things...

Muaythaibike said:
Ok, I notice that when I stand my lower bracket makes a funny ticking noise. What doesit sound like? (tick, tick, tick, tick, tick,ect). I asked my LBS about it (no he did not actually see the bike) and the guys thinks that my creank bearings may need a cleaning? The bike has only seen one season and I am pretty good in cleaning it after every ride. Could I really have something wrong with my crank already. It's a 105 and only has one season on it....
...best idea is take it into your LBS and let them deal with it...

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Yup, have a LBS wrench look and listen to it. Without being there it's hard to help you more. It doesn't sound like you're inclined to the work yourself so having the LBS deal with it will be easiest.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The cups on your BB might need greasing. They dry out in time or get washed out when riding in the rain.

I tighten my pedals a 1/4-1/2 turn passed finger tight. So they're snug but not overtightend.

·
3,494 Posts
My guess is the hex-bolts that hold your chain-rings to the spider arms. Remove bolts, clean, regrease and torque back up to spec. I like to work in a pattern around the chain-ring while removing and retorquing the bolts to keep them reasonably equally tensioned. This is fresh in my mind as I need to do this on my commuter bike tonight.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Mine started clicking on Friday. Everything is tight, but the drivetrain was filthy. It's now clean. I'll see how it goes on the next ride.

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
If I recall, your Trek is fairly new, and has 105 on it. I doubt your BB is not a sealed bearing design, but I guess it could be. If it is sealed bearing, they take many years to dry out. So I doubt it is that.

Does the sound ONLY happen when you are out of the saddle? One of the frustrating things about clicking/ticking noises on a bike is that the frame acts like a speaker and amplifies sounds and many times makes them sound like they are comming from an area that they are not.

A common "clicking when standing" sound is the front skewer. I would take the front wheel off, clean and lightly grease the dropouts, re-install the wheel, and really crank on the skewers to tighten them up. I have had that fix this noise before.

Another "clicking when standing" source is the bar and stem. Make sure they are also clean and tight, but not TOO tight, as that has been known to cause clicking there. A light application of grease at the stem/steerer and the stem/bar can help there as well.

Chainring bolts and pedals tend to make their noises regardless of seated or standing, same with the BB so I would say just make sure they are torqued properly.

I wanted to start my reply by saying that those noises are common in Treks, and that all riders of highend, handmade Italian bikes never had these problems! (A light hearted jab at your defensive feelings about your brand from the "Trek Haters" thread a week or so ago.) Just kidding, friend!

If all else fails, a trip to the LBS may (or may not) be able to diagnose the source of the noise.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, new Trek,,, 2007 105 Crank...Ticking sound only whan standing? Well actually no!!! Just under "strong" pedal application. I can reproduce the noice when seated but really have to pump the crank... Front skewer... I wil crank it down whwn I get home....

Yea, Trek... Quite an infferior product. My 5 year olds bike has a better crank...What else can I check?

·
Registered
620 Posts
You can check your idea...

Muaythaibike said:
Right, new Trek,,, 2007 105 Crank...Ticking sound only whan standing? Well actually no!!! Just under "strong" pedal application. I can reproduce the noice when seated but really have to pump the crank... Front skewer... I wil crank it down whwn I get home....

Yea, Trek... Quite an infferior product. My 5 year olds bike has a better crank...What else can I check?
...of what's worth wasting your time on and what you should subcontract to somebody who knows what to look for and can find and fix the problem in 15 minutes. Stop horsing around and GO SEE YOUR LBS...

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Yes it could be the pedals too. I had a clicking sound at the same position of the crank (on old bike) and sure enough, when I installed my new Look pedals the sound was gone.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Ok, what are some easy things I can to to trouble shoot? Bolts tight? I can do that. Re-greese BB?????
Do you have the tools to remove and re-install the BB and crank to the correct torque? No? Take it to your bike shop or get the tools. Buy "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance."

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK I checked the crank bolts. All tight. I did hovever notice that the front derailer mounting bolt was a little loose..Gave that guy a crank or 2...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Chain link....go to your LBS.... water bottle cage....go to your LBS....saddle.....go to your LBS... seat post... go to your LBS....cleat on your shoe.....go to your LBS....cracked frame... go to your LBS.... ride on roads that tick when you ride hard.... go to your LBS. They sold you the bike, they are interested in keeping you happy (or should be). They have tools, they have parts, they have the Knowledge to fix things. Why not use them that is why they were put on this planet. 1. They are better at this than you are. 2. You know they are better at it than you because they do it all day long and you are asking us, the drunk masses. If you were better than them, we wouldn't be here.
Maybe you could video tape it and post it, then we can see the bike and hear the noise. Go to your local bike shop!!!! They fix bikes and maybe as funny as we are.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
tighten up your skewers and very lightly grease the contact points on the dropouts

in my experience this will fix 99% of ticking noises caused under heavy load

the other 1% is chainring bolts

1 - 20 of 26 Posts