Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our team is placing an order of clif bars/gels/products at a slight discount. Are these worth it for traning/racing/distance rides? If so, which products are better than others. Thanks

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
CC09 said:
our team is placing an order of clif bars/gels/products at a slight discount. Are these worth it for traning/racing/distance rides? If so, which products are better than others. Thanks
I love Clif bars, and the gels, too. The bars taste more like real food than Powerbars. There are some flavors that are quite good. The Clif Shots are easier on my stomach, since they use brown rice syrup instead of maltodextrin. Ultimately, with all these products, it's going to vary widely based on personal tastes and your own physiology.

I wouldn't load up on them just because you're getting a discount. The bars and gels are available cheap at Amazon.com, Performance, etc. Maybe even at your shop - Clif Shots are $.86/ea at my LBS. And the bars are $.96 ea at Wal Mart without you having to buy a case of them. Flavor selection is somewhat limited, but they usually have 3-4 different flavors there.

·
Looks fast, rides slow
266 Posts
I like clif bars as snacks during work day, but not as fuel during rides. They have little too much fiber in them for my stomach.

K-Zero

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
CC09 said:
I like them all - Especialy the clif-shots.

If they have it, you ought to get their drink mix as well. I got a promo of it, and it is by far the best tasting drink mix I've used.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Compared to what?

CC09 said:
our team is placing an order of clif bars/gels/products at a slight discount. Are these worth it for traning/racing/distance rides? If so, which products are better than others.
It could be easily argued that fig bars are more nutritious, just as effective, and a lot cheaper. Probably better tasting too. It's all about personal preference. There are NO miracles in energy bars or energy drinks. They're just carbs, protein, and sometimes some fat. An expensive alternative to actual food, but lots of people like the convenience. I find fig bars pretty convenient too, but that's just me. :)

·
Banned
653 Posts
Cliff bars have a higher percentage of protein vs. powerbar for instance.
More protein will take longer to digest. I have seen a
big difference on my 1-2 hr training rides. My times are always better with powerbars
or other carbo food. I think Cliff bars are better for afterwards or for longer distance
rides.

·
Registered
48 Posts
CC09 said:
I think the new cliff blocks are really good.

The bars for me at least, are too damn hard to chew and swallow. I swear it took me around 10 miles to eat one during a race. I do like the bars after the ride, or while taking a break when mtn biking.

I haven't dealt with the shots much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a sensitive stomach and Cliff's don't settle well for me during rides but Hammer products and Erin Bakers breakfast cookies (all natural, excellent ratios) work extremely well (after 6-8 hours in the saddle I need something different though).

Nate

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Cheap.

I too like fig bars, honey, and chocolate milk. They all provide the results sought after for nutrition or recovery at a substantial savings. I was a huge proponent for Powerbar/Gu/Cliff products at one point. These boards showed me a different path. It also hepls I work at a grocery store and am a total cheapskate! my nutrition bill is:
$.79 big package of fig bars
$1.29 Honey bear
$.89 quart of Choclate milk.
That's a lot of suplement for under $3.00

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
CC09 said:
Clearly-water alone is not enough on long rides. Best product(s) are what you like & your system reacts to best.

Look at the source of sugars in energy drinks. Some use high-fructose syrups which can act as a laxative in certain people. Others tolerate these fine. If fructose bothers you, look for sucrose or dextrose on the product label.

One recent study found that chocolate milk makes as good a recovery drink as a comparison high-priced techno-brew, but avoid milk if you are lactose intolerant.

I've not yet found a commercial gel that doesn't make me want to hurl. I've tried a couple tbsp. of plain honey for some quick energy.

Lots of riders like fig newtons, but I don't care for them. Minimal protein & lots of figs can act like prunes- not good on a long ride :(

I like Carrot Cake Cliff bars during long rides. Flavor is OK and they don't melt in the summer (like chocolate) or get really hard in the cold (like Power bars).
The classic PBJ sandwich has alot going for it- simple, cheap, and a decent blend of carbs, protein, and fat.

FWIW- Classic Cliff & Power bars have the same calories (240) and protein (10g) per bar, though Cliff bars have more fiber (5g vs 3g). These figures vary between flavors.

You may want to avoid the "high-protein" bars during a ride. Taking more than 15g of concentrated protein at once gives some athletes abdominal distress (cramps). The type of protein can be important, too. Common sources are soy and whey. Some tolerate one better than the other.

If you search the web you can find lots of recipies for home brew energy drinks, bars, and gels. It may (or may not) be worth the effort to customize your own for the taste & content you seek.

Whatever you consume you may want to try it at home first. Being out on a long ride is not the time to find out some new food or product doesn't like you.

·
I don't exist
2,029 Posts
Pb&j

PB&Js beat any of the packaged sport "foods" hands down.

Oh yea you actually have to make it your self.

Start with a good whole-grain multi-grain bread. Add unsalted, no sugar added PB. (plenty of salt(s) in the bread). Finish with a good whole fruit jam or preserve. Cut in to 1/4s for easy access & handeling.

Remember to NOT toss the baggie on the side of the road.

PB&Js have it all, calories, protien electrolites & carbs.

All at a tiny fraction of the cost.

Uh, but you gotta do it yourself....shame.

Nevermind, go back to wastefullness.

·
Registered
279 Posts
CC09 said:
As a rec rider who sometimes rides with a local race team I can't comment on what to eat in a race, but I can't imagine chocking down a cliff bar during a fast paced ride. For training or distance rides, I love those cliff bars at about 3 hours out - i especially like the ones with cherry in them, peanut butter is a bit heavy for my taste. I like gels because they go down quick and easy. Gives me a boost before a climb too. I've been buying Trader Joes Strawberry, Blueberry, Fig bars because they're cheap, they're ind. wrapped, and they almost melt in your mouth. That said, you need to eat two of these to equal one powerbar, probably 3-4 to match a clif bar. Clif makes good products and they support our sport, so I like to support them back.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hammer Bars are good

i'd say go ahead with them, I like them, but yes, hard to chew and swallow. If you can, you should try nectar bars, clif's new product. not an energy bar by any means, but its soooo good. nice and moist, unlike clif bars, which are usually dry. I just tryed the new Hammer Bar (hammer gel) the other day, tastes like nectar bar, very moist, much smaller than clif bar, but almost as many calories (220 vs. 250) didn't check the other nutrition facts, but it sure tasted good after about 75 miles. I was howling when I dropped the last two bites of it on a decent:( I think they're kind of expensive, though.

http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=P...ID=5156&OMI=10139,10082,10047&AMI=10139#info1

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
This is sort of silly.

I mean, if it works for you, great, but, you shouldn't really need any external fuel in 1-2 hours.

2 hours of intervals, maybe I'd have a little sports drink or something, but that'd be it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
HAL9000 said:
PB&Js beat any of the packaged sport "foods" hands down.

Oh yea you actually have to make it your self.

Start with a good whole-grain multi-grain bread. Add unsalted, no sugar added PB. (plenty of salt(s) in the bread). Finish with a good whole fruit jam or preserve. Cut in to 1/4s for easy access & handeling.

Remember to NOT toss the baggie on the side of the road.

PB&Js have it all, calories, protien electrolites & carbs.

All at a tiny fraction of the cost.

Uh, but you gotta do it yourself....shame.

Nevermind, go back to wastefullness.
Don't get me wrong. I like PBJ's, too. They are easier to chew than many bars. Just don't leave one in your seatbag for a week, or in your jersey for the wash:(

·
Registered
136 Posts
Argentius said:
This is sort of silly.

I mean, if it works for you, great, but, you shouldn't really need any external fuel in 1-2 hours.

2 hours of intervals, maybe I'd have a little sports drink or something, but that'd be it.
Agree

·
Registered
72 Posts
Argentius said:
This is sort of silly.

That's great for you, but some people like/need to have their blood sugar up a little bit. This has nothing to do with fitness, either. Everyone rides a bit different, so your generalizations don't help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts